Here's a more primitive version of the Carcharocles teeth that occur at ad-Dakhla. All Otodus teeth come from Unit 2, this one may have come from the older Bed 1, not sure.

Otodus sp.

~3.05" - 7.75cm

Late Eocene - Priabonian

Samlat Formation

~38-34 Ma

Western Sahara

South of ad-Dakhla

08.jpg09.jpg10.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

On 1/4/2017 at 8:25 AM, ynot said:

A new discovery in some matrix from Round mountain silt (Sharktooth hill). It is 1/4 inch long.

DSCF5054.JPG

Sorry but I do not know where it belongs taxonomically.

Tony

By the way, do You know what this one is?

Thanks ,

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Not sure, but I think the only way to tell what it is, is if it comes out of the matrix, although if it is that small it's probably pretty fragile.

On its face it looks like an Isurus/Cosmopolitodus tooth (they can have cusps, and if it is one, it would have a cusp somewhat like that). What could change that is the size, 1/4" is pretty small. In other words, I'm not sure.

37 minutes ago, isurus90064 said:

Not sure, but I think the only way to tell what it is, is if it comes out of the matrix, although if it is that small it's probably pretty fragile.

On its face it looks like an Isurus/Cosmopolitodus tooth (they can have cusps, and if it is one, it would have a cusp somewhat like that). What could change that is the size, 1/4" is pretty small. In other words, I'm not sure.

Yeah, that is how I felt.

I understand that immature white sharks had peg type teeth on top as well as the bottom of the mouth. The more triangular blade like teeth develop after maturity.

So, as a small triangular tooth, this one seems to small for a Carcharodon sp..

Thanks for the thoughts,

Tony

It's missing serrations but the color is what stands out.

O. megalodon

~4.3" - 10.92cm

~5 - 4 Ma

Early Pliocene

Yorktown Formation

Lee Creek phosphate mine

Aurora

Beaufort County, NC

04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg

Switching gears here a bit. I have not had time to arrange these in some sort of sequence that resembles actual tooth positions (plus on a lot of them it's going to be very hard even

guessing a position).

A total of 203 Cretox teeth (erupted and unerupted), 17 vertebrae and 9 Squalicorax teeth from scavenging, all found in association.

The largest tooth in this set is 1.58" - 3.97cm. It's the second one from the left, third row from the bottom (left image).

Cretoxyrhina mantelli

~86 Ma

Upper Cretaceous

Niobrara Chalk Formation

Gove County, KS

14.jpg15.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

On 2/16/2017 at 8:24 PM, isurus90064 said:

Switching gears here a bit. I have not had time to arrange these in some sort of sequence that resembles actual tooth positions (plus on a lot of them it's going to be very hard even

guessing a position).

A total of 202 Cretox teeth (erupted and unerupted), 17 vertebrae and 10 Squalicorax teeth from scavenging, all found in association.

The largest tooth in this set is 1.58" - 3.97cm. It's the second one from the left, third row from the bottom.

Cretoxyrhina mantelli

~86 Ma

Upper Cretaceous

Niobrara Chalk Formation

Gove County, KS

Hello Isurus90064,

That looks like an interesting project.  For that you might consider the reconstruction technique outlined by Cunningham (1999) because you display the dentition with all available jaw positions, functional and otherwise.  There's a 1997 Shimada paper on a Cretoxyrhina dentition that might help too: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/254313867_Dentition_of_the_Late_Cretaceous_Lamniform_shark_Cretoxyrhina_mantelli_from_the_Niobrara_Chalk_of_Kansas

Jess

P.S.  I couldn't find a connectible link to the Cunningham paper.  It's one you probably have already on reconstructing a Striatolamia dentition.

Hey Jess,

Thanks for chiming in and thanks for the link to Shimada's paper.

Here's another paper on the same topic by Bourdon and Everhart:

http://www.elasmo.com/refs/pdf/bourdon-everhart2011.pdf

On 2/18/2017 at 0:57 PM, isurus90064 said:

Hey Jess,

Thanks for chiming in and thanks for the link to Shimada's paper.

Here's another paper on the same topic by Bourdon and Everhart:

http://www.elasmo.com/refs/pdf/bourdon-everhart2011.pdf

Oh yeah, that's a good one too.

Have you finished putting together the dentition.  What's taking so long?

Jess

• 7 months later...

isurus90064, you definitely have one of the best collections I've ever seen - thank you for sharing. Those cherry red Peruvian teeth are especially cool.

To bump the thread, here's a 1.5" STH planus from my collection that I really like.

IMG_5463.JPG

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Yeah, sometimes you get a tooth like that where the extra color streaks almost look like brushstrokes or some kind of writings/markings.  Great tooth.

Jess

19 hours ago, tiburon said:

Here are a couple more really cool STH planus teeth from my collection.

Really nice color on those!

Are they from the "slow curve" of Ernst quarries?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the specific area of STH where they came from as I had to purchase these teeth - if anyone here is an expert on STH and has an opinion, I would appreciate it.

1 hour ago, tiburon said:

Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the specific area of STH where they came from as I had to purchase these teeth - if anyone here is an expert on STH and has an opinion, I would appreciate it.

The color is typical of the slow curve area, but there are other places within the round mountain silt that have colors like that.

So no way to be sure.

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2008 at 8:11 PM, PaleoRon said:

I have heard that they reach 3 inches in Europe but I have never met anyone who has seen anything bigger than the tooth I have. They certainly seem to have thrived in the Eocene.

I'm late on this but I've seen a few Striatolamia over 2 1/4 inches (all from the Lutetian-Bartonian of Kazakhstan) but that one is easily the largest I've seen.  Two-inchers are rare enough.

On 2/11/2009 at 7:49 PM, isurus90064 said:

Here are a number of fish jaws from STH. The third one is Diodon sp., not sure what the 2nd. and 3rd. are. I'm not really up on my fish (other than sharks) ...

"Sharktooth Hill"

~15.5 Ma

Middle Miocene

Roundmountain Silt

Bakersfield, Kern County

CA

Roundmountain Silt ages:

~15.5-16.3 Ma - Roundmountain Silt strontium-isotope ages (Olson, 1988)

~14.0-15.5 Ma - Roundmountain Silt Luisian benthic foraminiferal fauna (Barron and Isaacs, 2001; Prothero, 2001)

~15.0-16.0 Ma - Roundmountain Silt Denticulopsis lauta A zone diatoms (Barron, 1981; Barron, in Bartow and McDougall, 1984)

~14.5-16.1 Ma - magnetic stratigraphy for the Roundmountain Silt (Prothero, Sanchez, and Denke, 2008)

~15.2-16.0 Ma - magnetic stratigraphy for the middle section of the Roundmountain Silt that includes the bonebed (Prothero, Sanchez, and Denke, 2008)

~15.5 Ma - magnetic stratigraphy for the bonebed itself (Prothero, Sanchez, and Denke, 2008)

~14.5-16.1 Ma - best correlation for the Roundmountain Silt (Prothero, Sanchez, and Denke, 2008)

04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg

Hi Marcel,

I assume you are still on the road somewhere maybe getting home in time for Christmas.  I think that middle specimen is a premaxilla of a tautog.  It's a rare specimen.  I think Bob had one or two and I've seen only one other a dealer had.

Jess

8 hours ago, siteseer said:

I'm late on this but I've seen a few Striatolamia over 2 1/4 inches (all from the Lutetian-Bartonian of Kazakhstan) but that one is easily the largest I've seen.  Two-inchers are rare enough.

That's the largest I've seen.

Here are a few from Kaz the top photo are 2 1/4" and the largest in the second photo is 2 1/2" from Usuk, Kaz

20171208_101005.thumb.jpg.ef0e1237ac097530f617e521381c5dd0.jpg

20171208_101248.thumb.jpg.11bd71b665dd13244bebdadf889048b3.jpg