Chile

xt2Yz4.jpg

Heres another photo of this tooth. 

8dPpuT.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017 at 2:09 PM, siteseer said:

Hi Marcel,

Yes, what Bob called "the west side" and became more widely known as "The West Quarry" is a truly fantastic locality.  I found a Parotodus lower anterior there in December 2004 though I now believe Bob left out for me to find.  He had chopped out some large matrix chunks with a jackhammer and he suggested I chip through some of them.  The tooth was partly exposed on one of the chunks.  I thought about it later.  How did he not see it sticking out?  He had an eagle eye for anything unusual - that glint of enamel in the sunlight.  He was the kind of guy who would give you a specimen like that but he would also go that extra step to want you to believe that you found it.  He was an incredible member of his community, always thinking of what he could do to promote the historic and scientific significance of the city and county.  He was a great friend as you know.  No matter how much you found, Bob didn't think you found enough and he would give you a box of extra stuff to take home (all kinds of teeth and bones and interesting bits).  I have a great mix of material from the bone bed much of which Bob gave me.

Yeah, I found a couple of those watermelon-red teeth (an amazing color), but in the time I held one free of matrix, it dulled before my eyes to more of a pearlescent mix of color that seemed to mix brown and gray with maybe some blue.  Bob said you could preserve some of that color if you had some Glyptol on hand and quickly dipped the tooth in it.

Jess

Those "watermelon" teeth were really something when they first come out of the ground. You can get that color back if you throw them in water and let it absorb for a while. I remember standing on top of the "West Quarry" before it was a quarry. I think this was sometime in 2001 or 2002. We were sampling the bonebed and Bob was planning on having a dozer come out to expose what turned into the beginning of the "West Quarry". The North end of the "West Quarry" was the richest, reddest material I've ever seen come out of Sharktooth Hill (considering Ant Hill being really Orange). There was simply more fossil than there was matrix. The picture of the matrix piece you responded to comes from that area.

As you know, the opposite side of that North-South trending hill or "finger" we called the "East Quarry", even though "Slow Curve" was farther east than the "East Quarry". Most of the material from there was really blue, sky blue, and the same thing would happen once it dried out in the sun for a few minutes. Teeth would turn more grey, although I do have a few teeth that came out blue and stayed close to the original blue. This quarry was expose around 1999-2000 and is as big as the "West Quarry" is today, although I haven't been back to the "West Quarry" in some time.

With regards to the "nose" Bob had for finding fossils, this was quite remarkable to watch. Sometimes it was that glint of enamel from 8 feet away, but he also always found considerably more material than anyone else digging that day. I might have been a combination of looking for certain characteristics in the matrix that signaled whether it was a good place to continue digging or not and knowing where things would have naturally sorted. This was also at a time at Slow Curve where on one day I literally watched him pull ~150 teeth from a pocket that was no bigger than several cubic feet.

As you know as well, Bob also used to go out before anyone would show up and "seed" the area of that day's dig with teeth he found in the days before. He would send kids to surface collect in exactly that area ensuring they'd find something, I'm sure oftentimes to the frustration of some of the adults who were breaking their backs digging for an occasional tooth when all of a sudden one of the 8 year old kids screamed and shows off a perfect 2.5" bright white mako, which I'm sure in the hands of an 8 year old looks like a 4" mako.

On 10/18/2018 at 8:28 PM, isurus90064 said:

Thanks for posting Woopaul! great pics, fantastic Hexanchus/Hexanchus jaw as well as the STH material, very nice!

Thank you!!!

Possibly my most favorite tooth of my collection. Found at Calvert Cliffs.

Notorynchus Cepedianus

Lower Symphaseal 

Calvert fm

ZWxKZc.jpg

I normally display this non display side but looks amazing on both ends. I was litterally shaking when it popped out of the formation in perfect condition. 

• I found this Informative 2

Here is a beautifully colored C. planus I dug out a couple of weekends ago. Some of those Bakersfield teeth have such amazing mineralization.

My Aurora Borealis tooth.

20181014_122628.jpg

20181014_122602.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Hello all,

While this is far from a "common" tooth, I wanted to post this anyways so it gets some exposure here.

Pelagiarctos thomasi canine partial

~4.00" - 10.16cm

"Sharktooth Hill"
~15.5 Ma
Middle Miocene
Roundmountain Silt
Bakersfield, Kern County
CA

01.JPG02.JPG03.JPG04.JPG05.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Here's another, this is just the enamel tip. Contrary to what some of the literature says this particular specimen has quite a sharp tip. I have another that is even sharper and I'll post it sometime this week.

~2.97" - 7.54cm

"Sharktooth Hill"
~15.5 Ma
Middle Miocene
Roundmountain Silt
Bakersfield, Kern County
CA

06.JPG07.JPG08.JPG09.JPG10.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

A comisural tooth (posterior) of Hexanchus andersoni .

"Sharktooth Hill"
~15.5 Ma
Middle Miocene
Round Mountain Silt
Bakersfield, Kern County
CA

5bd7be10a2045_unknownposterior-0005.png.03481f19895f5d7cc6334b2f560752e6.png

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Here is a Chilean great white tooth that I recently got. Not particularly monster-sized but I like the color.

20181031_212248.jpg

20181031_212242.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:33 AM, caldigger said:

Here is a beautifully colored C. planus I dug out a couple of weekends ago. Some of those Bakersfield teeth have such amazing mineralization.

My Aurora Borealis tooth.

That is a really incredible tooth! Good find!!

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:28 AM, Praefectus said:

Here is a Chilean great white tooth that I recently got. Not particularly monster-sized but I like the color.

Another nice tooth! Thanks for sharing!

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:00 AM, isurus90064 said:

Here's another, this is just the enamel tip. Contrary to what some of the literature says this particular specimen has quite a sharp tip. I have another that is even sharper and I'll post it sometime this week.

~2.97" - 7.54cm

"Sharktooth Hill"
~15.5 Ma
Middle Miocene
Roundmountain Silt
Bakersfield, Kern County
CA

06.JPG07.JPG08.JPG09.JPG10.JPG

Very very cool tooth!

On 11/16/2018 at 11:59 AM, Jaimin013 said:

@Woopaul5 Very nice collection of teeth that you have! Thanks for sharing with everyone!

Thanks. I should be posting a few more up in the next couple days.

pff8Bl.jpg

C. Megalodon 

Calvert Fm

Matoka Cabins

One of my oddest Megs. Found diving in the 90’s near Matoka cabins. Really odd colors for Calvert