.. a few more Chilean

The first one is my best transitional from there, it is also very big.

Second is a pretty obvious patho mako.

Holy cow, slow down! I need some time to wipe up the drool caused by your previous posts. :o

Seriously, keep the pics coming, your collection is spectacular!

Thanks,

Eddie

Sweet teeth you guys. Here are a few of my colorful teeth. These are all personal finds. The C. carcharias is from Lee Creek. I found it about 20 feet away from another one that was black and the same size and position as this one, but from the opposite side of the mouth. Some people think that it was found in the Yorktown formation but it came out of the shell beds above the Yorktown formation just like every other C. carcharias I have ever found or seen found at Lee Creek. The other teeth are river and stream finds.

post-210-1217303108_thumb.jpg

post-210-1217303116_thumb.jpg

post-210-1217303123_thumb.jpg

post-210-1217303131_thumb.jpg

post-210-1217303140_thumb.jpg

post-210-1217303169_thumb.jpg

post-210-1217303187_thumb.jpg

I just can't seem to post pics right tonight. Here's the Lee Creek C. carcharias.

post-210-1217303985_thumb.jpg

Ok guys- Marcel and PaleoRon- where is the "droolicon" hidden on the Fossil Forum?? If there is not one - we need one! :D

Sweet teeth you guys. Here are a few of my colorful teeth. These are all personal finds. The C. carcharias is from Lee Creek. I found it about 20 feet away from another one that was black and the same size and position as this one, but from the opposite side of the mouth. Some people think that it was found in the Yorktown formation but it came out of the shell beds above the Yorktown formation just like every other C. carcharias I have ever found or seen found at Lee Creek. The other teeth are river and stream finds.

post-210-1217303169_thumb.jpg

post-210-1217303187_thumb.jpg

Ron,

Excellent teeth. I've never seen a (non-broken) one-cusped Carcharocles before! What is the one

above it - Serratolamna sp.?

Thanks for sharing,

Eddie

Here is something different from 3" makos and GWs: How about a 7/16" C. angustidens! This tooth undoubtedly came from a newborn shark. Who knows, he may have lost this tooth during his first predation. I have two more angys smaller than this one, but this tooth is my favorite of the three.

I remember when I found this tooth, I almost wrote it off as a requiem shark tooth, but luckily upon reinspection (before I slid it into my pocket), I discerned that it was not!

Thanks for sharing your awesome collection guys, it's what keeps me going.

post-162-1217349052_thumb.jpg

Ron,

Excellent teeth. I've never seen a (non-broken) one-cusped Carcharocles before! What is the one

Thanks for sharing,

Eddie

I've had some people call it Serratolamna twiggensis and others call it Carcharias koerti. It's one of the nicest (non-auriculatis) Eocene teeth that I have ever found. The day I found this I also found a 2 5/8 inch Striatolamna macrota. When I saw it laying in the stream I thought it was a large mako. Too bad about the tip. Anyone know what max size is on these?

post-210-1217349232_thumb.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter
I've had some people call it Serratolamna twiggensis and others call it Carcharias koerti. It's one of the nicest (non-auriculatis) Eocene teeth that I have ever found. The day I found this I also found a 2 5/8 inch Striatolamna macrota. When I saw it laying in the stream I thought it was a large mako. Too bad about the tip. Anyone know what max size is on these?

I am glad you showed this... I too found one just like it at the Point-A Eocene site. Very large compared to any of the other teeth I have ever found at that site. It is even longer than the Rics. I am not sure of the length of mine, but will measure it when I get home after work tonight and post it. How long is that one you are holding?

Ron,

Thanks for sharing,

Eddie

Eddie: Here's two in one day for ya

post-77-0-65471900-1380835390_thumb.jpg

Edited by Northern Sharks

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I am glad you showed this... I too found one just like it at the Point-A Eocene site. Very large compared to any of the other teeth I have ever found at that site. It is even longer than the Rics. I am not sure of the length of mine, but will measure it when I get home after work tonight and post it. How long is that one you are holding?

The one in the pic is 2 5/8 inches. I have a couple others that are around 2 1/4 inches but they look small beside this one.

Here is something different from 3" makos and GWs: How about a 7/16" C. angustidens! This tooth undoubtedly came from a newborn shark. Who knows, he may have lost this tooth during his first predation. I have two more angys smaller than this one, but this tooth is my favorite of the three.

I remember when I found this tooth, I almost wrote it off as a requiem shark tooth, but luckily upon reinspection (before I slid it into my pocket), I discerned that it was not!

Thanks for sharing your awesome collection guys, it's what keeps me going.

Haizahnjager:

That is one awesome angy - so nicely figured on the penny!! Just keep it away from Marcel's rack! :D:D

Ron,

Thanks for sharing,

Eddie

Ron:

As previously mentioned by Eddie: I'm also not sure I've ever seen a Carcharocles tooth with only one cusp. I've seen a few where one cusp is less well developed and some pathos where anything goes, but not one like this. Most unusual

Ron:

I have no real idea as to the maximum size of Striatolamia - yours is about 1/4" larger than any I've seen. Just a guess but you may be approaching the maximum size with this one.

• I found this Informative 1

post-13-1217379581.gif

That is supposed to be drool for all these fantastic teeth on this thread!

Welcome to the forum!

Eddie: Here's two in one day for ya

Dang, two in one day. That's a neat tooth. What's odd about Ron's is that it looks

mostly normal (at least on the flat side) with normal serrations, just no side cusp.

Yours is awesome as well, I like the severe pathology!

Thanks for sharing,

Eddie

It's the only auriculatis I have found with only one cusp, not counting the dozens I have found with the cusps broken off. Here are a couple of "regular" ones from the same location. Both are 3 1/2 + inches.

post-210-1217387319_thumb.jpg

post-210-1217387309_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Ron:

I have no real idea as to the maximum size of Striatolamia - yours is about 1/4" larger than any I've seen. Just a guess but you may be approaching the maximum size with this one.

I have heard that they reach 3 inches in Europe but I have never met anyone who has seen anything bigger than the tooth I have. They certainly seem to have thrived in the Eocene.

I have heard that they reach 3 inches in Europe but I have never met anyone who has seen anything bigger than the tooth I have. They certainly seem to have thrived in the Eocene.

Fantastic rics, especially the classic shape on the second one!

The angie with one cusps is fantastic!

.. and so is the real small one on the penny ... nice!

Hey FS: I have a shrinker too :P in case you were interested ..

Marcel:

NO, NO! Not sooo fast here! Let's get the "Rack" issue finalized before firing up plans for the "Diminunator" :D

FS

It's the only auriculatis I have found with only one cusp, not counting the dozens I have found with the cusps broken off. Here are a couple of "regular" ones from the same location. Both are 3 1/2 + inches.

post-210-1217387319_thumb.jpg

post-210-1217387309_thumb.jpg

Ron:

What wonderful rics (my favorites). Thanks for posting - always a pleasure to see such teeth.

FS

... a few more blondes ... Sharktooth Hill

C. hastalis

"Sharktooth Hill"

~15.5 Ma

Middle Miocene

Roundmountain Silt

Bakersfield, Kern County

CA

Roundmountain Silt ages:

~15.5-16.3 Ma - Roundmountain Silt strontium-isotope ages (Olson, 1988)

~14.0-15.5 Ma - Roundmountain Silt Luisian benthic foraminiferal fauna (Barron and Isaacs, 2001; Prothero, 2001)

~15.0-16.0 Ma - Roundmountain Silt Denticulopsis lauta A zone diatoms (Barron, 1981; Barron, in Bartow and McDougall, 1984)

~14.5-16.1 Ma - magnetic stratigraphy for the Roundmountain Silt (Prothero, Sanchez, and Denke, 2008)

~15.2-16.0 Ma - magnetic stratigraphy for the middle section of the Roundmountain Silt that includes the bonebed (Prothero, Sanchez, and Denke, 2008)

~15.5 Ma - magnetic stratigraphy for the bonebed itself (Prothero, Sanchez, and Denke, 2008)

~14.5-16.1 Ma - best correlation for the Roundmountain Silt (Prothero, Sanchez, and Denke, 2008)

07.jpg.d39a4535a31135d406484ebd873d924d.jpg08.jpg.d8bb61d84ce2b744b63daad0ae6ecc9a.jpg09.jpg.22163420a0ea522b78d62dc4d6a3d930.jpgpost-92-12656025149325.jpg.9695b0122b047e4c8ebdc2714e8b96bf.jpg

... a dirty blonde tooth ...

... and another 3"incher, 3.3/16" measured along the slant ...

C. hastalis

"Sharktooth Hill"

~15.5 Ma

Middle Miocene

Roundmountain Silt

Bakersfield, Kern County

CA

Roundmountain Silt ages:

~15.5-16.3 Ma - Roundmountain Silt strontium-isotope ages (Olson, 1988)

~14.0-15.5 Ma - Roundmountain Silt Luisian benthic foraminiferal fauna (Barron and Isaacs, 2001; Prothero, 2001)

~15.0-16.0 Ma - Roundmountain Silt Denticulopsis lauta A zone diatoms (Barron, 1981; Barron, in Bartow and McDougall, 1984)

~14.5-16.1 Ma - magnetic stratigraphy for the Roundmountain Silt (Prothero, Sanchez, and Denke, 2008)

~15.2-16.0 Ma - magnetic stratigraphy for the middle section of the Roundmountain Silt that includes the bonebed (Prothero, Sanchez, and Denke, 2008)

~15.5 Ma - magnetic stratigraphy for the bonebed itself (Prothero, Sanchez, and Denke, 2008)

~14.5-16.1 Ma - best correlation for the Roundmountain Silt (Prothero, Sanchez, and Denke, 2008)

07.jpg.662ca53ec9925b189e922c7a434c8def.jpg08.jpg.3f8b90156d0243c63f134a94e2956bda.jpg09.jpg.f52ef5ee305b4736fd0beb0f2e6addec.jpgpost-92-12656025149325.jpg.395e350f07474c2944b8dd77cfa5aa8e.jpg