Here's a Squalicorax tooth from the Late Cretaceous Eutaw Formation, Tombigbee Sand member, Barton's Bluff, near West Point, MS.  It's a rare symphyseal measuring about 7/16 of an inch or 1.1cm. 

scorax_sym1a.jpg

scorax_sym1b.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

On 12/27/2021 at 1:32 AM, siteseer said:

Here's a Carcharocles (Otodus) tooth (1 5/16 inches or 33mm) that seems to challenge how we try to put specific names on fossils in general and fossil teeth in particular.  It doesn't have lateral cusplets but it was collected from the late Oligocene Chandler Bridge Formation, Summerville, South Carolina.  You would expect at least noticeable cusplets on a Carcharocles tooth from that time (the chronospecies, C. angustidens, (less prominent than on an auriculatus/sokolowi tooth and more prominent than on a chubutensis tooth).  The bourlette is largely worn away so someone might say it's a great white tooth (Carcharodon carcharias) but I don't think teeth from the early Pliocene or more recent have been found there.  I think it's an example of something that is sometimes found - a tooth that sort of previews what the "normal" form is going to be for the animal in the distant future. 

There's always a range in general form (smaller/larger, narrower/wider, thicker/thinner) and no tooth deviating from the norm is necessarily an indicator of where the evolution of the animal is heading nor an indicator of what the optimum form is or should be.  It's just a natural variation.  It's something like the red-haired kid from parents that both have brown hair or the tall kid from short parents.  This tooth just happens to show what a Carcharocles lower is going to look like in 10-15 million years.  

c_angust3b.jpg

c_angust3a.jpg

Hi Jess, I have a similar angustidens from the Ashley Formation (early Oligocene) of Berkeley County, SC. This one is 43 mm/1.69 inches.

IMG_3233.thumb.jpeg.653b86fd0444cc273ee617ed0af6294c.jpeg

IMG_3234.thumb.jpeg.a387e3717df1ea28730a50e85f468965.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Step away from the common for a min

Edestus heinrichi (jaw section)

Carbiniferous

Sparta, IL

Right around. 1’ long 

02808138-9573-41C5-BB7A-F665FF600A41.jpeg

334E8F43-B82C-45F7-BCF1-2C59E9D1ED93.jpeg

20C0F961-07A7-46FA-A5CB-FA168F111659.jpeg

21D3456E-30F4-43D4-8AFA-D744EBFD211F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 5

Bthemoose. that's an excellent example of that form.

Paul, that's a great Edestus specimen.  I remember when some specimens were coming out of that area in the late 80's to early 90's - lots of teeth but just a few jaw sections like that.  The closed the mines or at least some them by the mid-90's so you stopped seeing specimens at shows.  When stuff was coming out, you'd see Petalodus and even some conodonts.

Jess

• Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple of Bone Valley Formation teeth that are large for the genus.  One is a Carcharhinus leucas, or bull shark, tooth.  It's just over 1 1/8 inches along the slant and right at or just under 1 1/16 inches wide and that's with the root lobes being incomplete at their extremities.  I once had an opportunity to sort through a large collection of teeth from the Bone Valley Formation including hundreds of Carcharhinus teeth.  Maybe 5-6 of them were just at or just over one inch in slant height.

The other one is a Negaprion brevirostris, a fossil example of a lemon shark tooth.  It's also just under 1 1/16 inches across the root lobes and about 1 1/8 inches in slant height.  As with the bull shark, any tooth at or surpassing an inch across the root lobes or in slant height is unusually large.  I found very few at that size in the sample.

bonevalpair.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a small great white from the Pliocene San Diego Formation of San Diego.  It's what I like to call an "old" fossil.  It was collected in December of 1940 by a friend when he was a boy.  He picked it up on the east side of the 3400-3500 block of a street before that side was built on.  I'll have to ask him which street that was.  He's sent me a number of teeth from around the San Diego area back before it was as urbanized as it is today. 

The tooth is about 3/4 of an inch (approx. 20mm).  It exhibits a reddish color atypical of the teeth you usually see from there though I've seen a variety of colors so it's hard to say which one is typical.

gw_sd1a.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 8:51 PM, Woopaul5 said:

I really dislike that they went away from Carcharocles lineage to Otodus but changes are changes…

Otodus megalodon

Mid Miocene

Round Mountain Silt Member 

Temblor Fm

Bakersfield, CA

4 3/4”

355B175E-ECD3-4CA8-9AFE-1CD55CFA416C.jpeg

0E118ED1-D9CB-44FB-BFF6-DFF67D3F6887.jpeg

Some of us, like myself, use Carcharocles.

• 1 month later...

I have always considered Paraorthacodus a rare tooth wherever it occurs, but maybe 20 years or more ago, I saw a number of them for sale at one of the Tucson shows.  The dealer had maybe 20 of them.  I didn't know where else to post this, and after seeing a few other relative rarities in this thread, I'm posting the pictures here.

I ended buying a few smaller ones plus one that was larger than the rest.  They were all from Tyk-Butak, Aktiubinsk region, Kazakhstan - a lower Santonian age site.  This one is about 17mm wide.  The other ones I saw were about 10mm or smaller.  A friend showed me one he was considering.  It was at least 25mm - a monster.

parao1.jpg

parao2.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

5 hours ago, siteseer said:

I have always considered Paraorthacodus a rare tooth wherever it occurs, but maybe 20 years or more ago, I saw a number of them for sale at one of the Tucson shows.  The dealer had maybe 20 of them.  I didn't know where else to post this, and after seeing a few other relative rarities in this thread, I'm posting the pictures here.

I ended buying a few smaller ones plus one that was larger than the rest.  They were all from Tyk-Butak, Aktiubinsk region, Kazakhstan - a lower Santonian age site.  This one is about 17mm wide.  The other ones I saw were about 10mm or smaller.  A friend showed me one he was considering.  It was at least 25mm - a monster.

parao1.jpg

parao2.jpg

I’ll get around to a Synechodiformes thread at some point lol Great tooth. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Maybe we can jump start this thread again. 

Carcharodon carcharias

Pisco Formation 

Sacaco, Peru

All three are right around 2 1/4”. Good sized pretty colored  Peruvian GW’s. 

F237C687-E73C-4988-A089-C149717551FE.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Carcharodon carcharias

Pisco Formation 

Aguada de Lomas Peru

1.5”

Pisco Formation but different location. I have a Hastalis from this location with similar coloration. 

8406C4FE-A438-46CC-8DF5-C7502D77145F.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Not exactly common but I’ll post it here any ways to hopefully revive this thread a little. 

Chalamydoselachus aka the frilled shark from the Miocene of Austria 

3641667A-624E-4624-AD73-A010305ED7EA.jpeg

E686E16C-3D50-4D6F-8771-6658B95BA4C1.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I had heard of Chlamydoselachus teeth coming from Austria before and even had a chance to trade for one just one time but I don't think I've seen one until now.  I've never seen a specimen with the lateral cusps so low-angled before.

• I Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 4:36 AM, Woopaul5 said:

Not exactly common but I’ll post it here any ways to hopefully revive this thread a little. 

Chalamydoselachus aka the frilled shark from the Miocene of Austria 

3641667A-624E-4624-AD73-A010305ED7EA.jpeg

E686E16C-3D50-4D6F-8771-6658B95BA4C1.jpeg

Not exactly common is a bit of an understatement lol Fantastic rare tooth. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A thread worth charging up. 

Isurus retroflexus

Miocene

Monterey Formation? 

Coalinga, Fresno County

California

1.7”

I am not 100% sure on the formation. The label said Temblor Formation but that’s outdated I believe. Either way, it’s a fantastic tooth. It’s my largest retro and my only California example. 

FEEB92C2-B55F-4809-A242-2699D813F570.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Carcharodon hastalis

Miocene

Topanga Formation 

Upper Oso Dam

Orange Co California 

2.1” 

A nice, good sized hastalis  from the Miocene of Southern California. 

47B20122-BE70-4155-B3A1-EE490569D673.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2