fossil dude

These things run 3 to 4 in, long, i thought bactrites, someone else said they were something else, what do you think? oh yes they are from the penn. period.they are from s/e okla.

post-6671-0-65717400-1315712723_thumb.jpg

Those are real beauties! They may be mooreoceras. Look at orthocerida on wikipedia. Maybe Texas tunnel-rat will know. See recent thread titled Creta-sylvanian for pictures of his.

Straight cephalopods from the Pennsylvanian

post-6417-0-74134300-1315745230_thumb.jpg

Mooreoceras orthocones

Pennsylvanian

Finis Shale Texas

Website source: Click Here

post-6417-0-81216500-1315745243_thumb.jpg

Pseudorthoceras knoxense

Pennsylvanian

Illinois

Website source: no longer online

I have collected many similar specimens of what appears to

be both Mooreoceras and Pseudorthoceras at my Pennsylvanian

site in Missouri. Post like this one is a painful reminder of

the many fossils not yet researched and posted on my website

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

I beleave those are actully a odd type of Gastropoda called "Plagioglypta" (Pilsbry 1898)

I attached a picture of what I have ID of above.

post-3664-0-60957700-1315849387_thumb.jpg

Edited by thair

I would guess Scaphopods also which is a sister Class to Gastropods, Bivalves, and Cephalopods.

Maybe someone here has collected them also and can confirm whether orthocones or scaphopods.

If you look at the bigger end does it look like a tube filled with matrix?

Edited by LanceH

according to the books i have mooroceras has circular rings and chambers, these are elliptic and have no chambers, the living quarters take more than half the length, then there is a small tube in the middle reaching from the living chamber to near the tip, no chambers at all!

Edited by fossil dude

Ok, tubelike, I vote for scaphopod. Those are very nice examples and are totally different then the bits I've collected at Jacksboro which have ridges along the length.

These fossils are very interesting and the quality of preservation

from your locality is excellent

For the benefit of our archives and the Net at large...

its suggested to post images with scale or possibly

image of these specimens together in palm of your hand.

Of course sunlight images would be the best.

MAPS Fossil Show

They certainly look like a scaphopod, being open on both ends. It may well be Plagioglypta, a scaphopod genus I believe. Three to four inches in length make it one big scaphopod.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Are there scaphopods without longitudinal ribs? Or do they sometimes not appear on internal molds? I'm still looking for my first one unless I've miss-identified something (again) :wacko:

Edited by BobWill

one more new pic.as i said 3 to 4 in. long, rings are elliptical not round! all from one site s/e okla pennsylvanian period, somewhere around 350 million yrs. ago!!!!!! these are rare in this area, all the other sites i have in this area only produce small fragments, rare here at least< how rare are they at your penn. era site?hey one other thing, these are not straight, the last 1/3 toward the tip is curved!

post-6671-0-09643500-1315767766_thumb.jpg

These are Extremely large...but not really surprising since

many of the is fossils found at this locality are larger than

found at other Pennsylvanian localities. :D

I have found several of these and the largest one is about

half the size of these.

As far as the ID...I have to return to the project and pick up where

I left off and do more research. Not all found elsewhere that have

similar appearance are the same

Thanks for posting the excellent pictures of fossils in hand

and no doubt many who have spent years collecting Pennsylvanian

age fossils are now turning green with envy :D

MAPS Fossil Show

thanks indy, you are a true gentleman and an outstanding help to the fossil community, keep up the good work, hope you find the find of a life time soon!

I would vote for scaphopods for these Pennsylvanian age OK specimens. I am not familiar too much with the Pennsylvanian, but have collected a fair number of scaphopods from Cretaceous and Eocene age rocks on the West Coast of Canada. The preservation of the shell would seem to rule out a nautiloid cephalopod. I will try to post some pics of fossil scaphopods in my collection for comparison in a day or so.

Although I'm not familiar with the Pennsylvanian I'd go for scaphopods too. They remind me of the forms to be found in Mesozoic and Cenozoic layers. That curve at the end just does it for me. But actually I really don't know for sure, I just think they're really cool ! Indy should be able to get to the bottom of this judging by the quality of his very informative website and Geodigger knows his way around well.

Roger

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Are there scaphopods without longitudinal ribs? Or do they sometimes not appear on internal molds? I'm still looking for my first one unless I've miss-identified something (again) :wacko:

I'll answer my own question. Yes. I'm looking at pictures of the scaphopod Plagioglypta ( suggested by thair and jkfoam) that look exactly like yours.

Really big scaphods, great finds.

Can you take transversal pictures of the large opening to show the exact oval form of them and of the smaller ends, I wonder are they notched?

They certainly look like a scaphopod, being open on both ends. It may well be Plagioglypta, a scaphopod genus I believe. Three to four inches in length make it one big scaphopod.

JKFoam

Not really, 4 inch (about 11-12 cm) are quite common in Plio- Miocene layers.

post-5541-0-78999900-1315812652_thumb.jpg

Edited by paco

fossil dude

As you know I'm focused on imaging fossils and somewhat

anal about the subject. The images in reply 13 and 14...

are amazing...utilizing natural sunlight and attention

to detail regarding distance to insure maximum focus

KUDOS of the photos :D

Barry

MAPS Fossil Show

post-6671-0-09643500-1315767766_thumb.jpg one more new pic.as i said 3 to 4 in. long, rings are elliptical not round! all from one site s/e okla pennsylvanian period, somewhere around 350 million yrs. ago!!!!!! these are rare in this area, all the other sites i have in this area only produce small fragments, rare here at least< how rare are they at your penn. era site?hey one other thing, these are not straight, the last 1/3 toward the tip is curved!

I found one of these recently, although it was in 3 pieces, and I somehow managed to drop the tip into the loose piles of rubble and was unable to relocate it. :-(

I beleave those are actully a odd type of Gastropoda called "Plagioglypta" (Pilsbry 1898)

I attached a picture of what I have ID of above.

I added a picture

post-3664-0-26369400-1315849589_thumb.jpg

Edited by thair