My Micro Vertabrete Collection

kauffy

Fossil Kid, the fissure came from a limestone quarry. As far as i know it has long been filled in and covered up. Sorry! keep looking, im sure theres something to find!

Oh well!

Wow, that's dissapointing. Thanks for the pictues.

Tell em about it ;)

Turok1copy.png

Doing a few more pics...

post-142-1224569700_thumb.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Doing a few more pics...

Good job with the image, Chris! You could have made it a bit larger, I think. Your lighting seems good, too . . . minimal shadow at the margins of the individual bones.

If you elevate the fossils on a small sheet of glass -- a glass stage or pedestal -- you can dissipate or eliminate all the shadow. A few inches elevation is all it takes. I use a piece of glass that is 4" x 15" supported on each end by a translucent freezer container. For a white background, I lay down a sheet of printer paper between the supporting containers.

The glass is invisible in the image you make. (Sometimes I have to crop or otherwise clean up the edge of the glass or other extraneous lines that intrude on the image.) The larger the piece of glass, the fewer intrusions into the image.

I've been meaning to suggest this to the shark tooth collectors. Try it, you'll like it.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Doing a few more pics...

could you explain to me the features you used to determine if the verts are salamander versus anything else. i would love to be able to sort throught the hundreds of tiny verts i pulled from this stuff.

Brock

could you explain to me the features you used to determine if the verts are salamander versus anything else. i would love to be able to sort throught the hundreds of tiny verts i pulled from this stuff.

Brock

Hey Brock, Basically, while in the University of Indiana, i visited their paleo-anatomical department, where they hold thousands of specimins from different animals. I pulled out turtle, snake, iquanid, frog and salamander to compare. These are almost certainly salamander, every other animal had completley different diagnostic features. Thus by process of elimination, i think my identification is correct.

I was able to identify a few from vertabrea from the fauna too. I will post a picture up of them soon.

I also have a large bird vertabrea. The only trouble i had was when trying to determin vertabrea from lizards and snakes. I would defianantly assume that most of the vertabrea are snake. Simply due to the size and abundance. Though lizard vertabrea are nearly identicle, and apart from size i can not differenciate between the two.

Just as a note, i believe some if not many of the 'iguanid' jaws from the material are actually frog. The jaws with no hollow chambers but still have the perpendicular lines are from salamander.

If your confused post some pictures up of your vertabrea, i would like to see them... Cheers

Harry! what a great idea! i will be sure to give it a try as soon as i get my camera back!

Thanks a lot!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.