My Micro Vertabrete Collection

kauffy

Well i know i have posted a lot of photos of these things up on here but i never posted my finds from my third batch, so i figured i would post all of them! the whole collection of things i have accumulated and tried to ID as best as possable. Many still need to be Identified so as i get them done and the pictures made i will post them up on here. Lots of these pics just give an example of the collection, the phallanges photo'd below probably make up 10% of the total amount i have but placing them all out and taking a pic was just too time consuming. if anyone knows any of the bones below let me know!

Anyway Enjoy! :D

post-142-1217234667_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217234683_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217235864_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217235873_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217235884_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217235910_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217235922_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217235934_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217235945_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217235958_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217235971_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217235987_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217236001_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217236013_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217236023_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217236034_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217236048_thumb.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

more

post-142-1217237778_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217237792_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217237805_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217237817_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217237871_thumb.jpg

K

I remember you mentioning that you got this matl from Harry...any word on his whereabouts?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

K

I remember you mentioning that you got this matl from Harry...any word on his whereabouts?

Yep this material came from Harry, i spoke to him a few weeks ago although i really have no idea as to his whereabouts?

You really have a hoard there; I can't wait to start going through the batch I just got from Harry.

That's a lot of skunk material; do you have it displayed somehow?

I have to wonder how many collections out there have bat fossils in them....Way cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You really have a hoard there; I can't wait to start going through the batch I just got from Harry.

I have to wonder how many collections out there have bat fossils in them....Way cool!

Haha thanks Auspex, im sure you will find some wicked stuff in your lot, be sure to post it up on here! I have plano boxes with 15 1inch by inch holes by 1inch holes in them, so i have one with all my skunk material sorted, and one with a whole bunch of different bones, i still need to get out and buy another 10 plano boxes to fit all my collection in sorted!

The bats are nice, the jaw didnt come out very well but there are some seriously sharp molars on that thing! so delicate tho, very hard to manage!

Guest solius symbiosus
K

He was on the board one day last week, but he didn't post.

Guest Nicholas

Great collection Chris, well documented and the pictures are excellent. Keep up the good work, when we meet up in IN some time you'll have to teach me how to do that sort of thing.

Kauffy

The small world is sure a cool one, and I must say I admire

how well organized you get your stuff together. I am trying

to be more that way.. I always tell myself that I will organize later.....

Welcome to the forum!

Kauffy

The small world is sure a cool one, and I must say I admire

how well organized you get your stuff together. I am trying

to be more that way.. I always tell myself that I will organize later.....

haha im pretty much the same Roz, ive been saying i wanted to sort and ID all the bones from this stuff for months! i only just started catagorizing and identifying.... trust me, i still have a long way to go in terms of these small bones. And i will definantly keep posting after i get each photo done!

Cheers

Hey Auspex, with the toe bones (Phallanges) the ones pictured are the largest i have, aswell as the Ankle bones, any ideas as to what they are from, im thinking bird as the ankle bones seem to have the 'honey comb' structure, and the toe bones? well i dont have a clue but i figure the largest fauna in this stuff is bird.....

Great collection Chris, well documented and the pictures are excellent. Keep up the good work, when we meet up in IN some time you'll have to teach me how to do that sort of thing.

haha thanks Nick, i used the scanner for the first lot of pictures, i thought i would give it a go and it really works for the small bones, but the large more three dimensial things, like my rodent jaws really dont show up....hmm anyway its pretty simple once you get the hang of it!

heres some more what do ya think?

post-142-1217312785_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217312795_thumb.jpg

post-142-1217312806_thumb.jpg

Wow, really good to see so many snake verts. I think they are

on the rare size to fossilize, unless I have that wrong. I found one modern snake

vert, and didn't know what it was at the time. I kept it because I really like it.

Welcome to the forum!

Wow, really good to see so many snake verts. I think they are

on the rare size to fossilize, unless I have that wrong. I found one modern snake

vert, and didn't know what it was at the time. I kept it because I really like it.

Hey Roz, that pic only shows a small percentage of the snake verts i found in this material, i probably have about 125 or so.... the ones pictured being the biggest, but i have many many more! If you would like a couple PM me your adress and i will put a couple in an envelope for you! ^_^

Hey Auspex, with the toe bones (Phallanges) the ones pictured are the largest i have, aswell as the Ankle bones, any ideas as to what they are from, im thinking bird as the ankle bones seem to have the 'honey comb' structure, and the toe bones? well i dont have a clue but i figure the largest fauna in this stuff is bird.....

Many (most?) of the toe bones may well be bird; as for ankle bones, birds don't have them.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Many (most?) of the toe bones may well be bird; as for ankle bones, birds don't have them.

well that makes it a whole lot easier! im guessing the largest ankle bones will be from either Skunk, or Rabbit! i never knew birds dont have ankle bones, although now that i think about it, i have never seen a bird with and ankle! :P ive learnt something new!

Thanks auspex

• 2 months later...

ok here are some more pics from some newly searched material. One of the more unusual finds was the Upper skunk maxila fragment, with the upper molar and carnassial intact. Another unusual find was what appears to be a vole upper maxila fragments, one half with insisor intact and one complete with one insisor intact. Pretty neat! Also a large claw core, about to post it in the ID section, unusual due to its shape and size....

post-142-1224067089_thumb.jpg

post-142-1224067106_thumb.jpg

post-142-1224067132_thumb.jpg

post-142-1224067187_thumb.jpg

post-142-1224067238_thumb.jpg

post-142-1224067314_thumb.jpg

post-142-1224067356_thumb.jpg

...Also a large claw core, about to post it in the ID section, unusual due to its shape and size....

The details at the proximal end are a little beat up, but it's shape & size are consistent with Heron/Egret.

May I ask the whereabouts of fissure fill? I myself live in Ocala, and have been trying to find someplace close to look for fossils, to no avail.

Turok1copy.png

Thanks Mommabetts.

Fossil Kid, the fissure came from a limestone quarry. As far as i know it has long been filled in and covered up. Sorry! keep looking, im sure theres something to find!

Fossil Kid, the fissure came from a limestone quarry. As far as i know it has long been filled in and covered up. Sorry! keep looking, im sure theres something to find!

Wow, that's dissapointing. Thanks for the pictues.