Fossil Hunting At Florida's "vulcan Mine"

Fossilguy89

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum so please forgive my ignorance in advance should I improperly post this topic.

I have been fossil hunting throughout Florida ever since I was 7 years old and as time goes by it seems harder and harder to find areas that have yet to be overly excavated and finds are scarce.

I have recently been recommended to try an area called "Vulcan Mine" an old limestone quarry as I understand. I have looked all throughout the internet and have been unable to find any direct information as too where you are aloud to digg at the quarry, what the requirments are (age limits, keep restrictions, entry fee's etc. and was hoping that someone here might be able to point me in the right direction to find this information. It's a good 250 mile trip from where I live, well worth it from what I hear, however I dont want to get all the way out there only to find out you need some kind of special access pass or something of the sort.

Any information on this subject would be of great assistance and would be much appreciated.

Thank you, sincerely,

Tony from Florida

Tony from Florida,

I'm not from Florida but have collected at the mine. I went with the Tampa Bay Fossil Club which has some affiliation with the University of Florida paleo department. I think the club goes there at least once per year. I would contact the club for more info and consider joining.

Jess

Check tampas club website they also have a facebook page. The mine is north of brooksville on hwy. 98? You have to be a club member for field trips. I am quite sure they go almost once a month.

I would be surprised if they are still in business. They had been in decline because of the lack of new construction in the region. I collected there once and was amazed at how friendly they were to fossil collectors.

Everyone is correct that you have to be a club member and attending the mine with them. As far as I know just showing up won't get you in and they only let clubs in on a Saturday when work isn't going on. Digging tools consisting of a garden shovel will be more than adequate along with a large bucket to put your treasures in. The times I ,there are so echinoids that digging wasn't needed just bend over and pick them up. Check the Tampa Bay Fossil Club website for info., you can obtain membership and meet up on their hunt day and enjoy the great outdoors----Lots of fun---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

I can only endorse FosHunter's advice. None of these mine owners (even the ones who support fossil hunters) want to deal with 20-30 individuals rather than a couple of local Fossil Clubs.

The mines are owned by a business or corporation and depend on the officers of a fossil clubs to coordinate the event, understand the rules/restrictions, and to some extent, enforce those rules (sign the insurance waiver, hard soled shoes, long pants, hard hats, restricted areas, etc.

Besides, belonging to a fossil club is a good thing --

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"