Vert String Display

isurus90064

I mentioned before that I'd show what I use to create a shark vert string display. The reason behind it is because I have 7-8 vert string where the verts are loose and they are hard to display and show the original orientation and relationship (meaning all in line).

The vert string if from the well-known Chile site, Bahia Inglesa Formation (total 44 verts).

See corresponding pics (1-7).

1. I use a bull-nose metal trim you buy at Home Depot (I think they only come in 10 foot sections and cost $4- to $5.-).

2. I use a razor blade to cut off the excess paper (very easy to do accurately) .. just point into the metal a bit.

3. The cleaned version! (you can leave the paper that's glued to the metal on the other side - i.e. convex side).

4. Measure your string as you'd like to space it out. - on this string I go to 44" because the verts in the plastic bags still have to be prepped and added.

5. Measure and cut your bull-nose (you will need a metal saw).

6. Fit the verts (last 2 pics - you can see that even in a side view you can see the entire vert).

post-92-1217366291_thumb.jpg

post-92-1217366297_thumb.jpg

I can only dream of having the problem of how to display a string of vertebrae. Nice is an understatement. I guess it's tough to tell, but I believe that they are from a small Carcharhinus shark

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I like it!!! I've got some fish verts, that I need to do that with. They are a little smaller, but now that I have an idea, I'll start looking for the right kind of channel.

thanks for the idea.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Thanks guys,

Hey Northern, the largest in this string is 1.5/8". I believe this is a lamniform arrangement of the openings that accommodate the neural and haemal arches (most likely the most common lamniform shark from there was the Mako, so if it were my guess it'd be a smaller mako).

... but if anyone has a better ID please let me know.

btw this string came out of the sand layer which is the topmost fossileferous layer at that location called the Lechero Member of the Bahia Inglesa Formation.

I'm going by the info in "Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region" by Bretton Kent. Page 9 shows what some vertebra look like. Lamnoid verts " are characterized by the presence of many radial partitions, or septa, in addition to two pairs of large openings." Your Otodus verts would have this feature. The second verts pictured in the book are anterior and posterior scyliorhinoid (Carcharhiniform) types. These lack all the extra septa and get narrower in size as you get further back in the string as yours do. You may have to settle for a small Dusky or Tiger shark.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I'm going by the info in "Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region" by Bretton Kent. Page 9 shows what some vertebra look like. Lamnoid verts " are characterized by the presence of many radial partitions, or septa, in addition to two pairs of large openings." Your Otodus verts would have this feature. The second verts pictured in the book are anterior and posterior scyliorhinoid (Carcharhiniform) types. These lack all the extra septa and get narrower in size as you get further back in the string as yours do. You may have to settle for a small Dusky or Tiger shark.

Thanks for the reference Northern .. I am not familiar enough with vert ID's to distinguish.