Is This A Fossil Horsetail Or Calamite Stem?

Sharkbyte

I bought this fossil at an antique shop about 20 years ago and since I didn't know what it was (neither did the seller) except that it was a fossil, it got put away and forgotten for all those years. I have recently become very interested in Plant fossils so I remembered having this and dug it back out of storage. In researching fossil Fern plates I ran across something that looks similar to this piece and closely described like this. According to what I have read, it is a fairly common Carboniferous Period Horsetail or Calamite Stem from about 300 mya. I'm guessing that when this was a living plant it would have been round like a tree but compressed to less than a 1/4" thick as it lay on the woodland floor and was covered up. The opposite side is detailed just like this side so that is why I'm guessing it would have been round with a light cell structure on the inside that did not hold up to compression. Is this indeed a common fossil and could it be found in the St. Clair, Pa. site? I'm asking because, I have no known information on this specific piece as to where it was found and even what it was. I bought this piece and a smaller piece that the seller described as a fossil snake skin. I knew it was not a snake skin and I knew they both were plant fossils but that was the extent of it. I think I paid less than $20 for both and now I am hoping to give this fossil a permenant identification with a close guess as to where it might have originated from as I doubt very nearly absolutely, that it did not come from North Carolina. It is 10" long by about 4-1/2" wide and less than a 1/4" thick and I sure would like to know more about it.

post-6069-0-02328200-1317082840_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sharkbyte

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

I would add that this one is probably best placed as Archaeocalamites, which is a catch-all for impression-compression fossils, etc., or steinkerns of stems. These are ancestral to modern day horsetails (Equisetales).

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Scott knows his plants! :)

Nice acquisition, Bobby!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you Scott.

I appreciate the information and confirmation. Is this indeed a common plant fossil and is it widely distributed?

I would add that this one is probably best placed as Archaeocalamites, which is a catch-all for impression-compression fossils, etc., or steinkerns of stems. These are ancestral to modern day horsetails (Equisetales).

Origin? It could have come from any Carboniferous coal-swamp deposit in the world; no way of telling. Nice fossil, BTW!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks Auspex. I appreciate it.

Origin? It could have come from any Carboniferous coal-swamp deposit in the world; no way of telling. Nice fossil, BTW!