Carbondale Illinois Old Coal Spoil Piles

geodan03

Are there any areas for collecting Mazon Creek-like concretions with fern fossils in them in or around this southern Illinois region? I heard there are ironstone concretions to be found in this area. I have been combing the maps for the surrounding counties in hopes of finding the location of old spoil heaps from the local coal mines when then were in operation. Thanks.

Are there any areas for collecting Mazon Creek-like concretions with fern fossils in them in or around this southern Illinois region? I heard there are ironstone concretions to be found in this area. I have been combing the maps for the surrounding counties in hopes of finding the location of old spoil heaps from the local coal mines when then were in operation. Thanks.

The old strip mines around Carterville just east of Carbondale have concretions. I know a number of folks who have collected. They are from a younger coal than at Mazon Creek (Energy shale above Herrin Coal) but they have plants, insects, I have seen several spiders and other cool stuff. A lot of area is being reclaimed and bulldozed for construction though so the sites are getting less and less. But if you can find a weathered spoil pile around carterville chances are you might get some concretions.