Coon Creek

Guest N.AL.hunter

Guest N.AL.hunter

Here is one of my Coon Creek Fossils, more can be seen in the gallery. Cretaceous age, Tennessee.

Beautiful preservation! What is that site like?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Beautiful preservation! What is that site like?

It sure is. Are the shells from there de-calcified? It looks similar preservation to the stuff from the Eocene beds of Bracklesham Bay, Sussex, England.

Venericor planicosta

post-45-1217446602_thumb.jpg

post-45-1217446621_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Guest N.AL.hunter

The Coon Creek stuff is still original shell material (I believe that is what I remember them telling us).

When I got to dig there (twice), we were allowed into the creek. You swing a pick into the walls and see if there is something good slightly showing. Then you Block the thing out, wrap it in foil, and do all you prep at home, carefully. The shells are very fragile. I consolidate/harden the sand matrix first.

Nice Gyrodes. One of my favorite fossils from the Ripley formation. I also have one, but it is from another locality. Is Coon Creek still open to collecting? It has been many years since I have been to that site.

Guest N.AL.hunter
Nice Gyrodes. One of my favorite fossils from the Ripley formation. I also have one, but it is from another locality. Is Coon Creek still open to collecting? It has been many years since I have been to that site.

I believe it is still open, but must be with a group. I went with a Geology Club years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe the coon creek site is owned by a for profit organization. You can get into it through reservations, but it must be with a group, of which size I am not sure. If you google it, they have a website.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

THERE ARE SEVERAL AREAS IN NORTH MISSISSIPPI THAT PRODUCE THE SAME TYPE MATERIAL AS COON CREEK. ONLY DRAWBACK TO THE FOSSILS IS THAT THEY ARE SO FRAGILE AND MANY SUPER SPECIMENS CRUMBLE TO THE TOUCH.

Guest N.AL.hunter
I believe the coon creek site is owned by a for profit organization. You can get into it through reservations, but it must be with a group, of which size I am not sure. If you google it, they have a website.

Brent Ashcraft

Coon Creek is run by the Pink Palace Museum in Memphis. And you are correct that only groups can come in to collect, with reservations required.

There are areas in N. Mississippi where this formation can be found... I found many crabs when they were widening Highway-72 just west of Corinth. Have not been there to seriously look for a good creek to search in though. Happened upon the crabs by luck (noticed the Coffee Sand and just had to stop).