Petrified Coal?

RelicRaiser

I found a large piece of what looks like coal. My confusion lies in the fact that it weighs a ton and is very hard, like stone. The very edge of it has some pieces that are more brittle, like coal normally is, but most of it seems to be petrified. Is that even possible? Could it be a piece of wood that got burned and then permineralized? Any help would be great! Thank you!

IMG_2284.jpg

Finally got something up here! I just uploaded it to my Photobucket account and did it that way. There is something wrong with this batch of pics and I can't figure out what it is. I was able to upload some other pics that I have taken. Hmmmmmm......

Edited by RelicRaiser

I found a large piece of what looks like coal. My confusion lies in the fact that it weighs a ton and is very hard, like stone. The very edge of it has some pieces that are more brittle, like coal normally is, but most of it seems to be petrified. Is that even possible? Could it be a piece of wood that got burned and then permineralized? Any help would be great! Thank you!

I've been trying, for literally an hour, to upload pictures! I don't know what's wrong!

I've been trying, for literally an hour, to upload pictures! I don't know what's wrong!

They must be under 2MB, after browseing.... click 'attach this file' after it uploads click 'add to post' ....hope that helps :unsure:

They must be under 2MB, after browseing.... click 'attach this file' after it uploads click 'add to post' ....hope that helps :unsure:

They are under 2MB. I've tried numerous times. Every try receives an "error500".

I even deleted the two other pics I had up on a couple of other posts, thinking that you could only have 2MB on the site! That didn't help either.

I even deleted the two other pics I had up on a couple of other posts, thinking that you could only have 2MB on the site! That didn't help either.

Try this, hope it helps you.

Posting Pics

Welcome to the forum!

No need to delete anything, its a 2MP limit per post. maybe this will help?My link If not someone will be by to help soon :unsure: Can't wait to see your pics :pic:

Try this, hope it helps you.

Posting Pics

No need to delete anything, its a 2MP limit per post. maybe this will help?My link If not someone will be by to help soon :unsure: Can't wait to see your pics :pic:

Thank you both for your suggestions! I did try all of that, with no success. Unfortunately I already deleted the pics so maybe when this all gets sorted out I can go back to those posts and reload them. I just rebooted my computer so I'm going to give it another shot. Thanks, again!

Hope you get the photo upload figured out. Computers can be frustrating some days.

But as far as the coal goes two things come to mind: The piece of coal you have is an example of high quality anthracite. That's the grade of coal that is very dense, very dark, pure carbon. I have a chunk from PA that I keep just because it is rather attractive. The second thought is that you have a coal ball. I don't have any of those but they are also supposed to be denser.

The other possibility is that it's hematite or some other iron mineral.

Hope you get the photo upload figured out. Computers can be frustrating some days.

But as far as the coal goes two things come to mind: The piece of coal you have is an example of high quality anthracite. That's the grade of coal that is very dense, very dark, pure carbon. I have a chunk from PA that I keep just because it is rather attractive. The second thought is that you have a coal ball. I don't have any of those but they are also supposed to be denser.

The other possibility is that it's hematite or some other iron mineral.

That could very well be erose. I live in PA and it was near a railbed and a creek just downstream from a bunch of industry. I've just never felt a piece so dense or seen one this large. Thank you for your help!

The picture reminds me of fossil wood we find in North Carolina. Here we can find wood that is lignite which resembles soft coal and we can find wood that is completely permineralized where it is hard and heavy. Every now and then we will find pieces that are lignite on part of the piece and permineralized on the rest. That is what your piece looks like to me.

The picture reminds me of fossil wood we find in North Carolina. Here we can find wood that is lignite which resembles soft coal and we can find wood that is completely permineralized where it is hard and heavy. Every now and then we will find pieces that are lignite on part of the piece and permineralized on the rest. That is what your piece looks like to me.

looks like it to me. :D

Be true to the reality you create.

That sounds spot on for Id get that here in some places too. Gorgeous specimen nice one :)

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'