Venice Beach

mooredirt

What is that second one? It almost looks like part of a mammoth tooth. Hard to tell with the critters and stuff on it.

What is that second one? It almost looks like part of a mammoth tooth. Hard to tell with the critters and stuff on it.

Yeah he has cleaned it since the pic but Im guessing mastodon or mammoth tooth.

James Moore

Guest N.AL.hunter

Thanks for the inspirational pictures. I am looking forward to my trip in October. Hope the weather is nice that day with calm waters.

Thanks for the inspirational pictures. I am looking forward to my trip in October. Hope the weather is nice that day with calm waters.

NAL if you are doing any diving let me know...

Mooredirt are you guys divers? (sure looks like it from the avatar) if you guys ever need any company let me know. I try to get out there a few times a month!

Guest N.AL.hunter
NAL if you are doing any diving let me know...

Mooredirt are you guys divers? (sure looks like it from the avatar) if you guys ever need any company let me know. I try to get out there a few times a month!

We will be "diving" one day using our Super Snorkel floating compressor device. We will post details of our trip this week. And where we will be staying. Trying to decide now to take RV or just stay in motels. If you can join us, please do.

We will be "diving" one day using our Super Snorkel floating compressor device. We will post details of our trip this week. And where we will be staying. Trying to decide now to take RV or just stay in motels. If you can join us, please do.

Not only will I join you I can practically guarantee you a meg or three... Having someone with a little local knowledge does wonders for your finds. The best hunting is by boat and if I dont make it up there with mine I would highly suggest hopping on the boat with capt jamie's aristakat... @ 40 bucks a head it is well worth it. I actually am planning on chartering with him more instead of with my boat because its cheaper than spending on my own gas towing and boating and then come the headaches of owning a boat. No thanks I have about had enough and for 40 bucks to just show up and go i am saving money.

Can your super snorkel handle 30 ft deep? Also the water is going to start cooling off in October and will most likely be in the high 70's so plan accordingly.

You are going to be catching it right at the end of tooth hunting season... generally the best finds are more towards the end of winter when the hunting areas have had time and winter storms to replenish. If you can handle the chilly 60 degree water that is. I have noticed my finds are starting to thin this season but just last weekend a diver 20 ft to my right came up with a 5 and a half inch beauty so you never know.

Its always cool to have an RV and there are lots of parks around venice (dunno if they are RV accessible or friendly) but with the price of gas it might be cheaper just to get a hotel. How many nights were you planning on staying? Hitting any other fossiling other than venice? the peace river and myakka are a hop skip and a jump... I live on the Caloosahatchee and have heard some stories of nice fossiling areas but have yet to explore... http://www.fossilexpeditions.com/findscr1.htm

keep me posted

Guest N.AL.hunter

We will arrive around noonish on Thursday the 9th of October and stay that night plus one more, so can dive that day plus Friday the 10th. Will leave early on the 11th.

I'll have to hope for a hurricane to stir things up for us! My Super Snorkel can handle 35 feet with two people on it, or 50 feet solo diver. I do have a full wetsuit, but my wife has only a shortie. Nothing more than 35 would be best this time around. We will be staying at some pet friendly motel, details soon (two cats). Thanks for the info and I hope you can join us. The $40 per is not bad for us, but must check with some of the others that might come to see if they can afford that. I'll post full details of our stay Wednesday.

Del

• 2 weeks later...

Im certified NAUI and YMCA. I'd love to join up w/ you guys for some fossil diving. I currently snorkel the peace river when it's only about 1-2' deep. If the water levels are low then, I'd be more than happy to show you guys how we do it up in hardee and polk county.

Post up here when you guys have a concrete plan for the diving you're discussing.

My name is dave btw.

Dave 1.0

Winter Haven, FL

I hunt the peace river. I Love it.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Welcome to the forum Dave. We will be there as posted above. Looking forward to trying to find bigger/better megs and whatever else there is worth finding at Venice. You are more than welcome to join us. Don't know if we will use a boat yet or just shore dive.

I'm game either way. We can plan it as it gets closer.

Dave 1.0

Winter Haven, FL

I hunt the peace river. I Love it.