Guest N.AL.hunter

For The New Collectors,

57 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, (Julia) said:

What kind of glue?  

Harry has 'consolidated' some excellent information on glue. I would 'adhere' to the principles suggested HERE.

If I had a penny for every word I have to look up.....  Wish JohnJ had said "Elmers."  

I would suggest becoming familiar with the types of fossils found in your local area through books or the internet. Start with more common ones and go to uncommon and rare from there. Chances are if it doesn't look a piece or whole of anything you've learned about, it's not a fossil. It's normal to hold on to questionable pieces though, I do it myself. Just make sure you're narrowing it down so you aren't bringing home a WHOLE bucket of nothing but oddly shaped rocks!

A couple tips to keep in mind: If it's a piece of bone, it'll have tiny holes in it giving it a cellular or spongy appearance. If it's a tooth it'll usually have some enamel, so part of it will have a nice shine to it.

So I have to reply to a topic before I can start a new thread? Interesting 

49 minutes ago, Cbo111 said:

So I have to reply to a topic before I can start a new thread? Interesting 

I have not heard of this before.

Many People start a new thread with Their first post.

What is this tooth in the upper left?  Found on the beach around the other shark teeth in Charleston SC.  Thanks!

IMG_8256.JPG

On 6/16/2017 at 4:44 AM, EdistoMom said:

What is this tooth in the upper left?  Found on the beach around the other shark teeth in Charleston SC.  Thanks!

It would be better to start Your own thread rather than tag Your question into someone else's. Most of the regular members have already looked at this thread and may not come back to see Your question. It will also help to show a picture of the chewing surface of the tooth.

@Harry Pristis may have an idea.

1 person finds this informative