T Rex. Just For Fun

geofossil

Wash the Jeep or play with my fossils? My wife suggested I practice with the digital camera so I'll play with some fossils. B)

These Tyrannosaurid teeth are from the Scollard Formation which spans the Latest Cretaceous and Earliest Paleocene...otherwise known as the K/T boundary of dino extinction. The Scollard is equivalent in age to the Hell Creek formation of Montana/ N. Dakota, the Willow Creek formation of southern Alberta ad the Eastend Formation of Saskatchewan...all of which have produced T Rex skeletons. Other better known remains in these formations are the Hadrosaur, Edmontosaurus... the Ceratopsian, Triceratops... and the raptor, Troodon.

Dino remains are not as prolific in these Latest Cretaceous Formations as in the Oldman and Dinosaur Park formations of southern Alberta (72 to 80 mya). In those formations one finds the teeth of the Tyrannosaurids, Albertosaurus and Daspletosaurus.

post-69-1217791981_thumb.jpg

Play !!! of course :cool:

Is there any bird material known from the Scollard Formation?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'll photograph a few specimens some time in the near future and post the material. I don't know if there is anything sufficiently diagnostic to apply a vertebrate class.

Love to see them! You are correct that ID of such remains will be complicated and that any degree of certainty will be fraught with peril; most will be "Bone sp.". However, with a stratigraphy that bridges the K-T, great discoveries await! It marks the end of the Enantiorthines and the explosive radiation of the Neorthines; to say that their relationship is poorly understood is a vast understatement.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

• 2 weeks later...

Hollow bird-sized, bird-like bones could also come from small troodontids.

Bobby

Hollow bird-sized, bird-like bones could also come from small troodontids.

Bobby

When it comes to defining Avian Therapods and Non-avian Therapods, the intellectual "footprints in the sand" lie between the high and low tide marks, and each new discovery is a wave. Mostly what is being defined is the system of systematics. It is fairly safe to believe that Enantiorthine birds and Troodontids share a common ancestor, with the latter being a branch off the stem.

• 4 weeks later...
If this is what I think(i Hope not)_ any way all the best

I hope not either...I really enjoy his photo gallery. It was an ID reference. :(

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Archived