Sign in to follow this  
Ordovicious

Ludlow Hill, Dearborn County

Ordovicious

After several visits with no success, I finally found a complete trilobite at the fairly new Ludlow Hill cut in Dearborn County. This cut was made for a better route from US 50 to the hospital between Lawrenceburg and Aurora. The top of the Kope/Latonia and part of the Fairview formations are exposed (Upper Ordovician--Cincinnatian). The rock is very crumbly and the fossils aren't so well preserved, but this bug (a fairly small enrolled Flexicalymene, of course, but in perfect condition) has sentimental value since I was born just up the hill from where I found it.

I've found some halfway decent cephalopods and brachiopods at this site also. There are some really interesting bryozoan colonies too. Toward the bottom of the hill can be found pieces of Cryptolithus lace collars, which is how I determined the formation.

Gatorman

If you could mark this on the locations map it would be much appreciated.

Guest solius symbiosus

Pic !!!

I can find pygidium and cephalons from Cryptolithus, but whole ones are very rare.

Guest solius symbiosus

Yeah, I kind of drooled all over my keyboard while reading the post. Pics!!! some of the outcrop will also be nice ... if you have them.

Ordovicious

I need to get a better camera before I can get any good pictures, but I'm working on it.

A geology professor was doing some kind of measurements with the beds and looking at bryozoans at this site over the weekend. I was thrilled when he confirmed which formations these were--to know I had figured correctly. I had read that Cryptolithus was found only in the Kope, but I thought these rocks were too high up for that, so I was scratching my head. The Flexi I found came from the bottom of the Fairview just above.

I actually stumbled onto a trilobite "hotbed" near this site. Just a couple miles away next to Wal-Mart is a large cut where Crypto fragments can also be found. (This confused me because it's near the top of a hill and left me wondering, "Is that Cambrian rock at the bottom of the hill?") Just next to the store, around the hill from the cut, a large ditch was recently dredged to help drainage, etc. I scoped this out--and as soon as the workers quit one day I swooped down on it. Believe it or not, I immediately started finding beautiful trilobites. But...they were so poorly preserved and fragile they just turned to dust! I was falling apart too, of course. I wish I had taken pictures. One appeared to be Flexicalymene granulosa, about an inch long, which just sort of rolled out of the crumbly "overburden." I started picking up pieces of the dark shale and splitting it, but it wasn't really layered like the other shale I've worked with. It just sort of broke into chunks. All over the place were small Isotelus-looking critters, but they were thinner than paper, like film, and just flaked and fell apart. They were in all different directions in the rock, and when I carefully tried to extract one the whole thing would just fall apart. I'm staying away from the Wal-Mart paper trilobites from now on. I spent a few afternoons there and it was just too painful.

I'm not an expert, but it seems like all the shale within a few miles of Lawrenceburg is really cruddy. The Ludlow Hill cut is worth visiting, though, I think. I just wonder if it'll soften up and more things will weather out over time. At least we know well preserved trilobites CAN be found there--but it took me a long time.

Lonerguy

would love to get out that way to see what I could find.

Herb

It does sound like the Kope member , however there are no Cambrian exposures in Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky; except in some subsurface rock cores. I here there is some in the mountians of Eastern Tenn. though.

trilobitten

Very happy to have stumbled on this post. I'll be back in Indiana late next week (thank God) and should have a couple of days to go out and explore. This, along with Blue Springs, is a must see for me. Thanks so very much for the information.