Sign in to follow this  
Fitch

Other Fossil Hunters In The State?

Fitch

Wasn't sure where to post this but,

I've been trying to find other fellow fossil hunters in the state on the forums, but most of them haven't posted in a while, or didn't make many posts when they did.

Are there any other West Virginia members who visit the forums currently?

dragonsfly

Greetings Fitch, I'm in Richwood , east of Summersville . Where is Pineville? I'm up in the eastern panhandle alot for Devonian, been to 50W, 33near Elkins, Romney,Moorfield, Pocahantas Co., Scenic Hwy., Cumberland, Md. Where do you like to go? John

julieprice

I'm in WV- just hunt locally right now in the streams and such..but have occasionally resorted to looking through driveway gravel..haha..

dragonsfly

I can turn you on to some good places if you like. What are you finding? Plant or Marine ? What do you want to find? John

DeloiVarden

My brother lives in Vienna, WV. Last time I visited him, we hit some road cuts and found some decent fern fossil in some nice green colored shale. Nothing spectacular, but it was nice to get out. I would love to find some trilobites the next time I go visit him. Maybe he and I will head further north and east in search of some. Would be nice to have some contacts though for the area. I can bring some nice shark teeth for fossil trading if it helps motivate someone to show us around.

dragonsfly

My brother lives in Vienna, WV. Last time I visited him, we hit some road cuts and found some decent fern fossil in some nice green colored shale. Nothing spectacular, but it was nice to get out. I would love to find some trilobites the next time I go visit him. Maybe he and I will head further north and east in search of some. Would be nice to have some contacts though for the area. I can bring some nice shark teeth for fossil trading if it helps motivate someone to show us around.

Can do Delo , let me know when you get close. I have'nt found a good trilo site yet, couple of heads is all I've managed. But I have more leads. What part of the state were the roadcuts in? Along 50? There is a nice marine site not far from your brother . And a great fern site near me. John Edited by dragonsfly

DeloiVarden

Can do Delo , let me know when you get close. I have'nt found a good trilo site yet, couple of heads is all I've managed. But I have more leads. What part of the state were the roadcuts in? Along 50? There is a nice marine site not far from your brother . And a great fern site near me. John

I don't remember the exact road John as my brother was just pointing in directions for me to drive. It wasn't more than 30min from Vienna though. The shale we were pulling the ferns from is green and some was very brittle and split easily while others took a lot more effort. Maybe by the time I head back that way you will have a trilobite location we can hit together. Thanks, Jason

Phacopsfinder

Planning a fossil trip for a group from Pennsylvania into the Martinsburg WV and Winchester VA area. Anyone have any suggestiojns where a group of ~40 people can collect easily and safely?

ethnfreeman

I can put you on to some awsome fossils in Lincoln County WV shoot me a PM i will give you my contact info