Us Coins As Size Reference

Sharkbyte

I have seen postings many times where a US coin was used as a size comparison to relate to a fossil and several times I have seen where our friends from across the water have expressed that they have no idea how big a US quarter or Penny or Dollar Bill is and I am as guilty as most for using our coins and currency for size references. It is handy and I can relate to it very well so I use them and honestly, it is a hard habbit to break so I created a US coin and currency size conversion. I wouldn't even begin to know how large a rupee, shilling, yen or any other foreign coin or note is. I guess what I am saying is, I sympathize with our friends from other wonderful areas of the world. I hope this is helpful. I did not round off measurements but probably should have. Anyway, here is something to work with.

post-6069-0-58788600-1319216237_thumb.jpg US Penny 19.05 mm or 1.905 cm Photo Courtesy of United States Mint photo

post-6069-0-63029900-1319216260_thumb.jpg US Nickel 21.21 mm or 2.121 cm Photo Courtesy of United States Mint photo

post-6069-0-49751200-1319216285_thumb.jpg US Dime 17.91 mm or 1.791 cm Photo Courtesy of United States Mint photo

post-6069-0-47599600-1319216304_thumb.jpg US Quarter 24.26 mm or 2.426 cm Photo Courtesy of United States Mint photo

US Dollar Bill 155.956 mm or 15.595 cm

Just a quick note, if you are in the field and find yourself lucky enough to find a large megalodon tooth and want to know if you have found the elusive 6" or larger meg, hold it up to a dollar bill. It measures 6.14"

• I found this Informative 12
  • Thank You 2

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Topic pinned. Thanks, Bobby.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

No problem. I hope people find it useful.

Bobby

Topic pinned. Thanks, Bobby.

Nice job, Bobby! :)

Very helpful, I'm sure.

Regards,

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

This makes me feel better when I see coins from other countries used for the same purpose... :D

Be true to the reality you create.

Some of you can think that we could make the same thing with the coins of our countries (the Euro covers a big part of Europe). But imagine that to read all the novelties on the forum, in English, I spend more than two hours a day. When I answer or when I help in the identification, it is that I have some time. Then imagine if we have to look for this comment every time we see a photo with a coin !

You can make photos with your coins, that gives a general idea, but nothing prevents you from putting the sizes in your text. For my part, I already make the effort to translate in my head inches into centimeters. And I never put other thing than sizes on my pics. And sometimes, I put them in centimeters AND in inches !

Sharkbyte, I repeat that your work is interesting and I am sure that it will help many foreigners to understand the size of the American fossils, but I have enough time to look for this comment in the forum.

My intervention has for only purpose to incite you to indicate the sizes in your text, besides your coins on your photos. Thanks.

Coco

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

i have been busy on solving this issue since the topic began, and i'm pleased to announce that i had a "eureka" moment, fueled by hand-made, rolled-up flour tortillas.

everyone drop what you're doing and head to your nearest tattoo parlor and get an inch and metric scale tattooed on your left index finger (if you're right-handed). then when you take a picture, just hold your finger beside the fossil.

all you kid forum readers are exempt from this, because ya'll are still growing, and we don't want you cheating yourselves on the size reference by stretching the rulers. specially if you're a shark-tooth lover.

• I found this Informative 3

Something familiar for quick visual reference is very useful, but simply stating the measurements in the text should be done. It's not hard, not time consuming, and will help viewers to understand and respond.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

p.s. - ya'll are hereby on notice that 3 of ya'll's inches are 2.5 tracer inches, subject to fluctuation with the euro.

(and "fluctuation" is 1.125 inches long at 1024x768 screen resolution)

And here is me think the coin was found next to the fossil

coins are ok if that is all you've got, but why not use your camera lens cover or a card

post-310-0-74696300-1319337987_thumb.jpg post-310-0-07600200-1319338051_thumb.jpg

Hi,

And here is me think the coin was found next to the fossil

coins are ok if that is all you've got, but why not use your camera lens cover or a card

post-310-0-74696300-1319337987_thumb.jpg post-310-0-07600200-1319338051_thumb.jpg

I have several camera lens cover, and none of them has the same size ! It depends on objectives. Really, it is not complicated to write the size in the text!

We are on an international forum, and it is very important that everybody can understand to help in the identifications, all the information are necessary to facilitate the work.

I imagine that, as I, if you make a photo in situ, when you will have returned at home, you go to clean your fossil. And there, you can measure it at the same time as you write your text or your ID. Most hard work was made before ! Thanks !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

A printable scale with centimeters and inches should also be pinned in this thread. Everyone of course has their own personal preference as evidenced by the wide variety of objects from currency to ballpoint pens and butane lighters. It might make more sense to encourage the proper and expected methodology for scientific publishing or do we have to include a section for various global currencies to keep a level playing field? This topic certainly induces a bit of hand-wringing but the practice a object held in "hand" for scale probably needs to be addressed as well.

Hand sizes are not going to be easy... :o:unsure::wacko:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

A printable scale with centimeters and inches should also be pinned in this thread. Everyone of course has their own personal preference as evidenced by the wide variety of objects from currency to ballpoint pens and butane lighters. It might make more sense to encourage the proper and expected methodology for scientific publishing or do we have to include a section for various global currencies to keep a level playing field? This topic certainly induces a bit of hand-wringing but the practice a object held in "hand" for scale probably needs to be addressed as well.

Hand sizes are not going to be easy... :o:unsure::wacko:

I'll bet you are looking for one to link to this thread, right now. :D;)

Hi,

I have several camera lens cover, and none of them has the same size ! It depends on objectives. Really, it is not complicated to write the size in the text!

We are on an international forum, and it is very important that everybody can understand to help in the identifications, all the information are necessary to facilitate the work.

I imagine that, as I, if you make a photo in situ, when you will have returned at home, you go to clean your fossil. And there, you can measure it at the same time as you write your text or your ID. Most hard work was made before ! Thanks !

Coco

As I have done with my lens covers apply a scale to it and when ever you want a photo you have a scale right there

As I have done with my lens covers apply a scale to it and when ever you want a photo you have a scale right there

That's an excellent idea that I've never seen before. I used to have a rock hammer that I marked with a rough scale. The concept of attaching a scale to something you already take in the field does make its use more convenient.

i would appreciate it if ya'll wouldn't undermine my tattooed finger initiative. if it catches on, it'll be my only claim to fame to this point in my life, and i'd like to have a legacy other than being known for misidentifying fossils as being from bison.

p.s. - is this guy serious? i can never tell if he's being serious.

• I found this Informative 2

Printable Rulers of many kinds can be found HERE.

Or just take your pick from HERE.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Printable Rulers of many kinds can be found HERE.

Or just take your pick from HERE.

Regards,

Thanks, Tim.

:)

I have my car keys marked with their length. 75MM (for the car key) written on the black head with white marker paint. I always have my keys with me, even in my back yard where I'm finding all my fossils now. There is even a keychain LED light on the key chain that is marked at 60mm in length. It's not fancy, in fact it's a bit crude, but I never forget my keys.

---

Bob Smith

Central Texas Cretaceous

31°02'54.27N - 97°55'56.08W

Large map of the formations where I am located

http://tinyurl.com/3ral5cy

mid Cretaceous (~100 m.y.)

Border of the Trinity Group and the Fredricksburg / L. Washita Groups

Walnut Clay Formation in the Fredricksburg Group

I kind of like Tracers idea, though my wife was not amused ;)

my problem is that I have 5 tape measures, 3 T squares, 1 ruler and a seamstress tape...and 3 KIDS. I dont know what they do with them all but half the time I need something to measure with my kids have borrowed and misplaced them all so Im stuck using the coin for size comparison, the reason I have so many tape measures and T squares is becuase I keep buying new ones to replace the ones the kids have absconded with

...my problem is that I have 5 tape measures, 3 T squares, 1 ruler and a seamstress tape...and 3 KIDS. I dont know what they do with them all but half the time I need something to measure with my kids have borrowed and misplaced them all so Im stuck using the coin for size comparison...

When the kids get a little older, you won't be able to find any coins either...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

When the kids get a little older, you won't be able to find any coins either...

lol, yeah I have a 16 year old so Ive had that problem for a few years now and the 3 year old tries to drop coins down the heating vent, one day Im going to have to tear out the basement ceiling under that vent to get all the coins, toys and dvds he's dropped down into that section of duct work

I posted this about a month ago. Hope it helps.

When photographing a fossil it's always nice to include a ruler for reference. I don't like to use the stainless steel type as they are too shiny. Here's a link to a variety of printable rulers which you can print on to different color card stock. Enjoy.

Tom

http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/paper_rulers/#shrink

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

• 3 weeks later...

It's a brilliant idea to pin this. I have thought about this dilemma before... (*cough* don'tlookatmyavatar *cough*) But this is a brilliant solution. Bravo.

SANY0022.JPG

SANY0014.JPG

This posting has spurred a lot of interesting ideas from several members. Thank you all.

Bobby