Us Coins As Size Reference

Sharkbyte

Personally, I like the idea of a circular scale because it retains the same width at any angle.

Pennies and lens caps serve this purpose until I get around to constructing some of my own.

Context is critical.

Hello Missourian,

I agree with the circular concept and hope for some people, this topic helps but I am making a concious effort to include a measurement with all my future postings.

Edited by Sharkbyte

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

A couple concepts....

post-6808-0-03199800-1326943418_thumb.pn

Can I borrow one of those? I promise not to print it at 25% and use it to show off my 9" Megs... :P

Seriously, those are pretty good!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Can I borrow one of those? I promise not to print it at 25% and use it to show off my 9" Megs... :P

Seriously, those are pretty good!

Yes, but I can't be responsible for the accuracy of the scales, as I was forced to draw them in MS Paint. :)

Context is critical.

Hahaha... That could be practical if it was a permanent tattoo!

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

When the kids get a little older, you won't be able to find any coins either...

Truth rings loudly with these words.

Check law enforcement supply places......evidence photo gray scale rulers of different types can be had for little money. They are specifically made with non-reflective finishes and are blood proof. (Would come in handy in the field..... because rocks, fossils and shovels have sharp edges.) :wacko:

A good day hunting is, well..... a GOOD DAY.

• 4 weeks later...

For formal pictures of mineral specimens, I use 1-cm black scale cubes as a point of reference in photographs where the size of an object would not be otherwise be known. Formal scale cubes are marked on the sides "N" for north, "S" for south, "E" for east "W" for west, "T" for top, and "B" for bottom. Also, 1-cm, unmarked plastic cubes, which are used to teach math to children, can be used as informal scale cubes. Examples of scale cubes can be seen in "Have You Found a Space Rock" at http://geology.com/m...orwrong-750.jpg in http://geology.com/m...ification.shtml . Also, there is "Meteorite scalecubes" at http://www.niger-met...e-scalecube.htm and http://www.niger-met...-scalecube1.htm .

For larger objects and field photographs, I use the Geological Society of America's photo scale.

One time when I was using a quarter as a scale, a hiker came by . He stopped and looked at me and asked why I was taking a picture of a quarter on the ground.

Yours,

Paul H.

Edited by Oxytropidoceras

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much it was helpful information; however, in case I want to measure the microfossil shell under the microscope, what should I use to do that, is there any way?

Majed

Majed N. Turkistani

@MNMT86

I believe there are scale bars for microscopy. Otherwise, if the size of the field is known, there is a technique for extrapolating the size of the fossils: here is a LINK.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you very much it was helpful information; however, in case I want to measure the microfossil shell under the microscope, what should I use to do that, is there any way?

Majed

Hello Majed,

With todays inflation we should be able to use coins for micro fossils these days. :wacko:

• I found this Informative 1

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i have been busy on solving this issue since the topic began, and i'm pleased to announce that i had a "eureka" moment, fueled by hand-made, rolled-up flour tortillas.

everyone drop what you're doing and head to your nearest tattoo parlor and get an inch and metric scale tattooed on your left index finger (if you're right-handed). then when you take a picture, just hold your finger beside the fossil.

all you kid forum readers are exempt from this, because ya'll are still growing, and we don't want you cheating yourselves on the size reference by stretching the rulers. specially if you're a shark-tooth lover.

I love the idea but i am scared of needles! :):)

I believe there are scale bars for microscopy. Otherwise, if the size of the field is known, there is a technique for extrapolating the size of the fossils: here is a LINK.

This looks very helpful to me, if I do it right :mellow: .

But how do you make the backward u for the micron symbol?

Steve

This looks very helpful to me, if I do it right :mellow: .

Like this: µ

On my AZERTY (French) keyboard, I make "ALT" touch + 0181 at the same time. It is an ASCII code. I imagine that it isn't the same code on a QWERTY keyboard and that you have to look in an American ASCII board.

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On my AZERTY (French) keyboard, I make "ALT" touch + 0181 at the same time. It is an ASCII code. I imagine that it isn't the same code on a QWERTY keyboard and that you have to look in an American ASCII board.

Coco

Thank you, Coco! That gives me a clue to figuring it out. I found something about that in a search, but couldn't get it to work. I'll keep trying.

Thanks again.

Steve

Hi,

Coco's code was the same as I used too ;)

Yeaaaahhhh !

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Actually, I read about all that, it's all over my head! I'm extremely technically challenged and don't understand codes, boards and all that stuff.

But I did find in a search, a character map that I saved in favorites. All I have to do is click it open, select whatever character, in whatever font I desire, hit the copy button and paste wherever I want it.

I'm sure your way is easier, but until I learn how to do it, this works for me.

Thank you for the help Coco and Scylla!

Steve

If my ASCII board is available for the QWERTY keyboard, here it is ! It could help many people !

You have to put a zero in front of every figure to obtain the letter (example in the colone 5th: µ = [Alt + 0181]

Coco

post-1822-0-27192100-1341131581_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------

Un Greg...

µ :rofl:

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen, and thinking what nobody has thought.

Albert Szent-Gyorgyi