Us Coins As Size Reference

Sharkbyte

11 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

I would of used newer coins and included more but I don’t have many international coins.

Here's the modern Japanese currency. Also added American half dollar and dollar coin with a standard quarter for scale. The ruler is in cm. The dollar coins I assume are awful to use as scale since each version likely varies in diameter.

500 Yen = 26.5 mm [1.043 inch]
100 Yen = 22.6 mm [0.89 inch]
50 Yen = 21.0 mm [0.827 inch] (Center Hole = 4.0 mm [0.157 inch])
10 Yen = 23.5 mm [0.925 inch]
5 Yen = 22.0 mm [0.866 inch] (Center Hole = 5.0 mm [0.197 inch])
1 Yen = 20.0 mm [0.787 inch]
Kennedy Half Dollar = 30.61 mm [1.205 inch]
Susan B. Anthony Dollar = 26.5 mm [1.043 inch]
Sacagawea Dollar = 26.49 mm [1.043 inch]

88466069_coinscale.thumb.png.b8fee39280cae824722c6b02632ce6e4.png

Hi,

It’s weird @Kikokuryu but I can’t read your message ! :shakehead: :whistle: :heartylaugh:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

8 hours ago, Coco said:

Put the size of these parts, in my opinion, helps to encourage them to be used when their use should be discouraged.

I can see how this may be an issue but if a new member took time to look through these pinned topics than I'm sure they would get the message to not use coins

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

22 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

I can see how this may be an issue but if a new member took time to look through these pinned topics than I'm sure they would get the message to not use coins

I know that the use of coins, cell phones, feet, hands, Children, hammers, etc. Is not optimal for scale references. However sometimes that is what we have. Last time out digging I was just in that situation, I looked for my scale but it was in a different tool bag in the car so I used a quarter that I had in my pocket. If I am home I usually take the time to find a ruler for photos. If I post a pic with a coin, it is not meant to offend but to entertain.761869027_20210330_1557512.thumb.jpg.733c2bad37a72f42d0368067a2f15533.jpg

I am new here so I haven't stumbled across a post with coins as size reference yet but I am sure this post will be very helpful for a lot of members.

and also 1inch=2.5cm

1 hour ago, Scylla said:

I know that the use of coins, cell phones, feet, hands, Children, hammers, etc. Is not optimal for scale references. However sometimes that is what we have. Last time out digging I was just in that situation, I looked for my scale but it was in a different tool bag in the car so I used a quarter that I had in my pocket. If I am home I usually take the time to find a ruler for photos. If I post a pic with a coin, it is not meant to offend but to entertain.

I completely see how at times coins are necessary and I'm sure no one gets offended when that is all you had at the time. I hope I didn't offend anyone by saying use of coins is not ideal, my goal was just to add a comparison between the most used ones so when it does happen members who do not use those coins have a good idea of the size and a coin as a scale is better than no scale at all. Also nice fossil ;)

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

• 9 months later...

Any coin is better than no scale. Most coins are very close in size. Measurements where required of course.

• I Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Plax said:

Any coin is better than no scale. Most coins are very close in size. Measurements where required of course.

I agree. A coin placed next to a bone gives me a good idea of whehter it's closer to three feet or three inches.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Mara_Masina said:

This is great, thank you!

Convenient but It's a lot easier for everyone if a scale is used since we are an international forum and coin sizes are different in every country.

• I Agree 3

On 1/24/2022 at 6:41 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

A coin placed next to a bone gives me a good idea of whehter it's closer to three feet or three inches.

We’ve been fighting for years on this forum not to use coins. That’s a bad scale for an international forum. It would be nice not to encourage that !

I have made available in my signature a centimeter paper that anyone can print and even laminate for use in hunting.

To think that someone have no measurement scale, whether it is in cm or in inch, nor printer to edit this paper is beyond me. When we ask for help with identification, we can at least make a minimum effort for people who will take time to seek out and help.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

6 hours ago, Coco said:

We’ve been fighting for years on this forum not to use coins. That’s a bad scale for an international forum. It would be nice not to encourage that !

And I wholeheartedly agree. It's the newcomers seeking identification of their finds that you need to convince -- not me. All you have to do is take a look at my requests for ID help and you can see that. I'm not encouraging it with my statement. I said that it is better as a frame of reference than no reference at all. I would prefer not to help those who can't find a ruler. If they don't care enough to find a ruler, then why should we care about helping them? Of course, the folks who need our help don't see it that way. And it's not their fault. They don't have a clue to begin with.

Mark.

• 1 month later...

I have thought of another solution to this problem. This is an international forum and not every member has ready access to quarters, euros, shekels, lira, , yen, etc. So if members would just send me the money from their country, I will be happy to include it in my photos.:tiphat:Problem solved.16527048258218585363342913305269.thumb.jpg.223a1ed8fe3371d5a44c252e5f6d23d1.jpg

Edit: apparently the filters on TFF do not approve of what the Vietnamese government has decided to call their currency. It is in the photo though.

Edited by Scylla
The word for Vietnam's currency was automatically deleted.

4 minutes ago, Scylla said:

I have thought of another solution to this problem. This is an international forum and not every member has ready access to quarters, euros, shekels, lira, , yen, etc. So if members would just send me the money from their country, I will be happy to include it in my photos.:tiphat:Problem solved.16527048258218585363342913305269.thumb.jpg.223a1ed8fe3371d5a44c252e5f6d23d1.jpg

Put you little trilobite on a 8 ft across Island of Yap coin for scale.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rai_stones

87BB27F2-4F38-47DE-91E2-995449E5B215.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

In reality, it is not necessary to put anything next to it to compare the size, it is simply to indicate the measurements that it has when we write the text, and if the measurement cannot be made when the photo is going to be uploaded, the approximate measurements are indicated. :D

• I Agree 1

20 hours ago, Paleorunner said:

the approximate measurements are indicated.

Approximate measurements are about as good as guessing the size of a coin.

Mark.