Us Coins As Size Reference

Sharkbyte

tracer,

you should have thought about this earler.I tatooed the ruler on my hand ,and when it dried it also said the objects are smaller next to the tatoo.

Bear-dog.

• 3 weeks later...

coins are a problem with size, "every" country have other size,

"lego" piece is childish

but lego size is same everywhere in the world.

if You need a big, can use duplo-lego, if your fossil smaller than 5 cm, use "normal" lego pieces; You can choose colors, and shape: rectangle or circle

example:

post-9785-0-31312500-1348345457_thumb.jpgpost-9785-0-28407300-1348345460_thumb.jpg

pic1: mastodon teeth

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

another newbie here.

It's funny, I was just photographing some of my fossils and was using a penny for reference...out of frustration because i can not seem to find any of the 1,842 rulers, tape measures, squares, etc. I KNOW I have around here. I decided I really need some kind of scale I could throw in my camera bag and ran across this:

http://web.ncf.ca/jim/scale/

AND THEN found this thread...

I printed off and tried out the scale and it worked great!

here is an example of the scale in use. I sized the pic down just to save space on here:

post-10091-0-59934600-1349817269_thumb.jpg

Edited by harpo568

Fossil collecting newbie...

(I may be from Illinois but I didn't vote for Obama!)

• 1 month later...

watched a lot of pictures on the Internet.

Always very surprised that they use for scale.

And markers and pens, lighters. coins. matches.

cigarettes. phones. and even oranges and lemons.

The most sensible place lineup.

But how better?

Measured in inches or centimeters?

To make it clear right away.

• I Agree 1

...But how better?

Measured in inches or centimeters?

The scientific standard is metric, but I usually list both measurements.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sometimes in the field, I'll throw down a pack of cigarettes, my sunglasses, etc...whatever is available at the time since I don't normally have a scale with me.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

• 2 weeks later...

I printed off and laminated several of those small scales I posted and I keep one in my desk,one ON my desk, one (or 3) on my work table, two in my camera bag, one in my glovebox and usually stick one in my pocket if I am carrying my camera.

• I Agree 1

Fossil collecting newbie...

(I may be from Illinois but I didn't vote for Obama!)

• 1 month later...

I was just about to suggest what Harpo568 suggested. I printed out a centimeter/inch ruler and cut it so that it's 5 inches long. I covered it in scotch tape and I carry it with me in case I want to take a picture. I actually like Harpo568's printout better, but either way, a ruler is international and fits in a wallet very nicely!

-Crinoid1

I like crinoids......

• 5 weeks later...

If my ASCII board is available for the QWERTY keyboard, here it is ! It could help many people !

You have to put a zero in front of every figure to obtain the letter (example in the colone 5th: µ = [Alt + 0181]

Coco

For those who aren't sure. Use the 'right' Alt key, and the numbers on the right of the keyboard, not the row above the letters.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

• 5 months later...

thanks Sharkbyte and others for the info. We don't see much of the US coins in Australia. A bit of trivia- our 5cent is slightly larger than US dime and our 10cent is about 2mm larger than US 5cent

• 3 weeks later...

The Society for Vertebrate Paleontology had these nifty little photo scales made, and they sell them at each annual meeting. I bought a dozen, and they are in every place I might ever need a scale.

BearSpringsBear

I think that, if I remember correctly, this photo was actually made on a flat-bed scanner, which is a quick and easy way to document a large number of fossils (say receiving a loan).
Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Metric scales: universal coin-of-the-realm!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 years later...

Great idea to include the sizes!

For world coins: https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/

Enter the search terms and the size of coin is listed on the right:

Example, I typed "CANADA 1996 2 Dollars" https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/canada-2-dollars-km-270-1996-2003-cuid-253-duid-1036

Cheers!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

But it would be sooooo much easier for people to use an international scale, I really don't want to be googling the size of a USA dime, Canadian dollar, South African rand, Iranian riyal, Indian rupee and all the other many currencies throughout the world. A ruler works internationally regardless if it's a dressmaking ruler, kids school ruler, decorators ruler, machinists ruler, you get my drift. If you don't have a ruler (and I'd be very surprised if there's a house that doesn't have one) make one with your computer or use a packet of cigarettes or a pen or something else but please not a coin.

• I found this Informative 2

Hi,

I don't understand why it is so complicated to put the size in the text... In " or in cm !

Coco

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

use a packet of cigarettes or a pen or something else but please not a coin.

What brand of cigarettes? That subject alone could cause a lot of argument. Personally, I hate menthol.

Also... a pen... Parker or BIC? I like the class and style of a nice Parker, but the simplicity of a BIC appeals to my economic side.

Seriously though, I've just gone 31 days without a puff of tobacco or any kind of nicotine at all (no patches, gum, drugs, etc.). Quiting was the hardest thing I've ever done, and I think I've done it! I still feel jittery, but I'm OK. More than 40 years of smoking, and now I'm free. :yay-smiley-1:

Edited by tmaier

Seriously though, I've just gone 31 days without a puff of tobacco or any kind of nicotine at all (no patches, gum, drugs, etc.). Quiting was the hardest thing I've ever done, and I think I've done it! I still feel jittery, but I'm OK. More than 40 years of smoking, and now I'm free. :yay-smiley-1:

Good job! Keep it up ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

Hi,

I don't understand why it is so complicated to put the size in the text... In " or in cm !

Coco

I agree completely Coco.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

What brand of cigarettes? That subject alone could cause a lot of argument. Personally, I hate menthol.

Also... a pen... Parker or BIC? I like the class and style of a nice Parker, but the simplicity of a BIC appeals to my economic side.

Well done, keep it up! I'm 1 year clear :)

• 2 years later...

I might be a little late in doing so, but I came up with a solution to the US coin problem for our international members. For 3 monthly installments of $24.99 american I will send you your very own US quarter! (Price does not include shipping) Just kidding, I know that's probably not helpful, and I'm not sure it would even be legal, but I thought it funny.:D

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2019 at 2:01 AM, Fossilis Willis said:

I might be a little late in doing so, but I came up with a solution to the US coin problem for our international members. For 3 monthly installments of $24.99 american I will send you your very own US quarter! (Price does not include shipping) Just kidding, I know that's probably not helpful, and I'm not sure it would even be legal, but I thought it funny.:D

:heartylaugh:

• 9 months later...

I have two wrench tools like for bicycle. Have inch and to 5 cm rulers. The wallet ninja with the open wrenches may be more use full ..

P1010017.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thought I’d add this, while the use of coins as a unit of measurement is not ideal it is inevitable that it will be used again and again. So here is a picture of coins from the major areas that are on the forum, USA Europe and Canada. There is a scale below, a good trick to remember Is that the American one cent coin is the exact same size as the Canadian one cent coin and the 2 cent euro is only 0.3 mm (so barely noticeable) smaller. I would of used newer coins and included more but I don’t have many international coins.

35790F53-BE95-4880-852C-435B98C0B8EA.thumb.jpeg.33f8a7e84f933769ecf55177881257fa.jpeg

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Hi,

Like many of us, I will not search this post or learn the size of the pieces to know the measurements of a fossil to identify. Put the size of these parts, in my opinion, helps to encourage them to be used when their use should be discouraged. Better put a ladder in cm and inch to print ;)

Coco
Edited by Coco
  • I Agree 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 4/10/2019 at 9:01 AM, Fossilis Willis said:

I am very late, and i would accept if you send me monthly the equivalent of $24.99 fossils, free shipping of course. And, to thank you, once a year i'll send you 12 €.:P

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg