Sharkbyte

Us Coins As Size Reference

bear-dog

tracer,

you should have thought about this earler.I tatooed the ruler on my hand ,and when it dried it also said the objects are smaller next to the tatoo.

fossilhunter2

coins are a problem with size, "every" country have other size,

"lego" piece is childish

but lego size is same everywhere in the world.

if You need a big, can use duplo-lego, if your fossil smaller than 5 cm, use "normal" lego pieces; You can choose colors, and shape: rectangle or circle

example:

post-9785-0-31312500-1348345457_thumb.jpgpost-9785-0-28407300-1348345460_thumb.jpg

pic1: mastodon teeth

harpo568

another newbie here.

It's funny, I was just photographing some of my fossils and was using a penny for reference...out of frustration because i can not seem to find any of the 1,842 rulers, tape measures, squares, etc. I KNOW I have around here. I decided I really need some kind of scale I could throw in my camera bag and ran across this:

http://web.ncf.ca/jim/scale/

AND THEN found this thread...

I printed off and tried out the scale and it worked great!

here is an example of the scale in use. I sized the pic down just to save space on here:

post-10091-0-59934600-1349817269_thumb.jpg

Edited by harpo568

Ruslan-69

watched a lot of pictures on the Internet.

Always very surprised that they use for scale.

And markers and pens, lighters. coins. matches.

cigarettes. phones. and even oranges and lemons.

The most sensible place lineup.

But how better?

Measured in inches or centimeters?

To make it clear right away.

Auspex

...But how better?

Measured in inches or centimeters?

The scientific standard is metric, but I usually list both measurements.

sward

Sometimes in the field, I'll throw down a pack of cigarettes, my sunglasses, etc...whatever is available at the time since I don't normally have a scale with me.

harpo568

I printed off and laminated several of those small scales I posted and I keep one in my desk,one ON my desk, one (or 3) on my work table, two in my camera bag, one in my glovebox and usually stick one in my pocket if I am carrying my camera.

crinoid1

I was just about to suggest what Harpo568 suggested. I printed out a centimeter/inch ruler and cut it so that it's 5 inches long. I covered it in scotch tape and I carry it with me in case I want to take a picture. I actually like Harpo568's printout better, but either way, a ruler is international and fits in a wallet very nicely!

-Crinoid1

Bill

If my ASCII board is available for the QWERTY keyboard, here it is ! It could help many people !

You have to put a zero in front of every figure to obtain the letter (example in the colone 5th: µ = [Alt + 0181]

Coco

For those who aren't sure. Use the 'right' Alt key, and the numbers on the right of the keyboard, not the row above the letters.

Aussiefossil

thanks Sharkbyte and others for the info. We don't see much of the US coins in Australia. A bit of trivia- our 5cent is slightly larger than US dime and our 10cent is about 2mm larger than US 5cent

RichW9090

The Society for Vertebrate Paleontology had these nifty little photo scales made, and they sell them at each annual meeting. I bought a dozen, and they are in every place I might ever need a scale.

BearSpringsBear

I think that, if I remember correctly, this photo was actually made on a flat-bed scanner, which is a quick and easy way to document a large number of fossils (say receiving a loan).
Edited by RichW9090

Auspex

Metric scales: universal coin-of-the-realm!

MarcusFossils

Great idea to include the sizes!

For world coins: https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/

Enter the search terms and the size of coin is listed on the right:

Example, I typed "CANADA 1996 2 Dollars" https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/canada-2-dollars-km-270-1996-2003-cuid-253-duid-1036

Cheers!

JohnBrewer

But it would be sooooo much easier for people to use an international scale, I really don't want to be googling the size of a USA dime, Canadian dollar, South African rand, Iranian riyal, Indian rupee and all the other many currencies throughout the world. A ruler works internationally regardless if it's a dressmaking ruler, kids school ruler, decorators ruler, machinists ruler, you get my drift. If you don't have a ruler (and I'd be very surprised if there's a house that doesn't have one) make one with your computer or use a packet of cigarettes or a pen or something else but please not a coin.

Coco

Hi,

I don't understand why it is so complicated to put the size in the text... In " or in cm !

Coco

tmaier

use a packet of cigarettes or a pen or something else but please not a coin.

What brand of cigarettes? That subject alone could cause a lot of argument. Personally, I hate menthol.

Also... a pen... Parker or BIC? I like the class and style of a nice Parker, but the simplicity of a BIC appeals to my economic side.

Seriously though, I've just gone 31 days without a puff of tobacco or any kind of nicotine at all (no patches, gum, drugs, etc.). Quiting was the hardest thing I've ever done, and I think I've done it! I still feel jittery, but I'm OK. More than 40 years of smoking, and now I'm free. :yay-smiley-1:

Edited by tmaier

MarcusFossils

Seriously though, I've just gone 31 days without a puff of tobacco or any kind of nicotine at all (no patches, gum, drugs, etc.). Quiting was the hardest thing I've ever done, and I think I've done it! I still feel jittery, but I'm OK. More than 40 years of smoking, and now I'm free. :yay-smiley-1:

Good job! Keep it up ;)

sixgill pete

Hi,

I don't understand why it is so complicated to put the size in the text... In " or in cm !

Coco

I agree completely Coco.

JohnBrewer

What brand of cigarettes? That subject alone could cause a lot of argument. Personally, I hate menthol.

Also... a pen... Parker or BIC? I like the class and style of a nice Parker, but the simplicity of a BIC appeals to my economic side.

Well done, keep it up! I'm 1 year clear :)