Braintree Hunt, Ma

Sinopaleus

hi all :)

this was my first time hunting in the united states! i was in mass for a school break, and decided to go hunt for braintree trilobites. it was a sunday morning when we left westborough and drove to braintree. we went to go hunt in mill's cove. the rocks there all seemed to be metamorphic. i hopelessly searched for 2 hours straight and had no results. there were absolutely no more sedimentary exposures left there! so i stopped for a while, had a quick bite and a sip of water, then was going to head back by crossing some hills to look somewhere else. but then, i spotted some blue shale-like pieces buried in the soil in a hill. i sat down and started chipping away at the scattered blue shale, and after 30 minutes, i found a few strange black things embedded inside the shale. at first i thought i found some sort of mineral like biotite, but then when i found a few more of them, i noticed that they were fossil wood! there was one specimen where it was preserved orange instead of black, which triggered something inside my mind. the age and species are unknown, but they are currently being ID'd.

pictures coming soon!

PS: when i came back to west borough at 9:00pm, i found out about the amphibian track site in plainville. apparently they were only open for collecting on sundays, which left me puffing with regret! :P

i could have met dhk!! :o:(

Welcome to fossil collecting in the good ole' USA.

I'm just venturing a guess here; but judging from your pictures, what you found in your Braintree excusion was not petrified wood, but "slicken-slide" That is a kind of a rock smearing when fault movement forces actually melt the friction surface in one direction. I can see why the striations give a wood appearance. Alas, there were no woody land plants til Silurian/Devonian times. Good eye! When looking for the famous Paradoxides Trilobites, you would be looking for anything that doesn't look like normal rock.

If you ever found one of those whole Braintree Paradoxides Trilobites, I would be jealous.

I agree, Its the rocks fault. :)

That is nothing really....sorry...BUT I don't brag and put my stuff out there...But you can find trilobites in braintree....And I have them as well..You need a kayak or a boat but u can get them..awesome.

It is not necessarily bragging to post your finds. ;) A photo of a trilobite from Braintree could let someone know how they look in the local formations.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

If no one posted their finds, what a dull place this would be.. :)

Hopefully, Henry, you will have some more hunts before you

return home!!! :)

Welcome to the forum!

Go find a few bugs Henry! I just sent you the pdf on the paradoxidid trilobite fauna of Massachusetts. B)

If anyone else wants the 6 Mb paper please send me a PM and I will forward to your email address. :)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

scott, i wish i could :( the trilobite sites in braintree are long gone. completely dug out, and all whats left of it is non-fossiliferous rock :( however, if i get lucky when i go to mass next time, i hope ill go hunting for tracks or bugs :)

scott, i wish i could :( the trilobite sites in braintree are long gone. completely dug out, and all whats left of it is non-fossiliferous rock :( however, if i get lucky when i go to mass next time, i hope ill go hunting for tracks or bugs :)

The previous respondent claims to have success at finding Braintree bugs. ;)

Sites come and go of course but there should be a few trilobites still lingering somewhere in those rocks...

aww.. :(

so then that means that my first hunt in the states was a failure.. sleep.gif

I don't think so, you learned something. As a fossil hunter geology is your friend. learn all you can. Better luck next time :)

Bob

On 10/24/2011 at 11:11 AM, JohnJ said:

It is not necessarily bragging to post your finds. ;) A photo of a trilobite from Braintree could let someone know how they look in the local formations.

I agree John! :thumbsu:

Today I discovered another paper on the paradoxidids from Braintree. I still have the 6 Mb pdf available and for anyone interested please send a PM with email address and happy to forward it. Btw, I would be absolutely thrilled to assist anyone needing a research assistant to evaluate any surplus Massachusetts trilobites!

I just Posted some new pics of the trilobites I found from Braintree.

Awesome Paradoxides pieces! The classic cranidium is superb with inflated glabella and palpebral lobe (eye) preserved. Additionally, the partial axis is a nice bonus as well as a possible pygidium seen in photo number 21.

Thanks for posting! :D

Check my trilobites from Braintree....

I just Posted some new pics of the trilobites I found from Braintree.

Awesome Paradoxides pieces! The classic cranidium is superb with inflated glabella and palpebral lobe (eye) preserved. Additionally, the partial axis is a nice bonus as well as a possible pygidium seen in photo number 21.

Thanks for posting! :D

What pics?

:unsure:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Pictures in Orangebuccaneer's Gallery CLICK HERE.

Regards,

EDIT: It looks like a bit of a glitch in the album - it is mixed with one of TroyB's albums! Software upgrades - Gotta love them!

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me