Raptor Digit

geofossil

I'm experimenting with my first posting :huh: and attempting photos of a couple specimens from my collection. After 30 years of collecting and about 25 thousand specimens... :o ...only fellow fossil nuts can understand the addiction.

I'll keep with the previous Upper Cretaceous themes. These specimens, however, are from a terrestrial formation here in Alberta. They are about 75 million years old. Remains of dinos here are common but less common are those of small hunting theropods. The first photo is that of a digit (toe) of a small theropod (hunter). The second photo compares a caudal (tail) vertebra of a tyrannosaurid compared to that of a smaller velociraptor-type theropod. The remains of tyrannosaurids and those small theropods are the similar except for scale.

post-69-1192236162_thumb.jpg

post-69-1192236658_thumb.jpg

Very cool, hard to obtain similar material in my neck of the woods unless you have private land access in West TX. I too subscribe to your obsessive/compulsive paleo behavior. There comes a point when storage space becomes an issue. I occasionally cull out the lesser stuff and donate it to schools and such, but I'm getting down to stuff too good to give away so I'm starting to sell a little off here and there to fill the tank on my F-250. I'm collecting Sun-Tues solid next week, spending a couple days showing a museum curator around South TX for Upper K marine material in some pretty exotic localities. Should be quite a shindig!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Archived