Weird Moroccan Non-shark Tooth?

ebrocklds

so i'll just cut to the chase. cretaceous, phospate mines in Morocco. found in association with a mosasaur. size is just under an inch

2008080608416688.JPG

2008080608418071.JPG

2008080608416286.JPG

2008080608415667.JPG

2008080608418168.JPG

2008080608506300.JPG

2008080608502914.JPG

the tip is unfortunately broken so an occlusional view is not very helpful.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Brock

so i'll just cut to the chase. cretaceous, phospate mines in Morocco. found in association with a mosasaur. size is just under an inch]

Sorry no help from this end. However, if it was not so Small I would say the only question would be whether it was a "left hand" or a "right hand". :D:D

It's a curious fossil and, like you, I will be interested to see what knowledgeable FF members come up with re to an ID.

Possibly the root end of a Dalpiazia stromeri rostral tooth. I don't have one to compare, but there is one from another thread (last picture in the first post)

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?sh...t=0&start=0

northern

thanks for the help with your lead i have found a great moroccan fossil identification site. and your id was perfect.

here is the link to the site for anyone intersted

http://users.telenet.be/sharkteethcollecti...gatiepagina.htm

Brock

Exactly what I was going to say - it looks like a gigantic version of the root of Schizorhiza (sp?) which was a fearsome sawshark that had a rostral dental battery. But ya, sawshark was my guess (or saw fish? I can't remember pristids right now for the life of me).