My Always Growing Collection

Tyrannoraptor

Good luck finding a Spinosaur tooth...you should be able to buy something decent.

Tomorrow a local New York City metro fossil show starts. I haven't been saving any pennies so I am really going to just meet folk and see some of the complete dinosaurs up for auction.

Good luck finding a Spinosaur tooth...you should be able to buy something decent.

Tomorrow a local New York City metro fossil show starts. I haven't been saving any pennies so I am really going to just meet folk and see some of the complete dinosaurs up for auction.

Put a bid on one from me!

I have $2.15c but seriously I would love to go to the NYC metro show, it dwarfs any show in Australia by comparison.

Not yet, but I will consider doing so for my future articles (I hope there are more to come) :)

In other news, I'll be going to a fossil fair/exhibition in Trzic, Slovenia this weekend. It's not a big show, but you can find some pretty neat fossils if you are lucky. I'm hoping to get a good Spinosaurus tooth this time. I did have one once (it was a Spino tooth but it was in a very bad shape and small, I gave it away), and then another tooth I thought was a Spino tooth turned out to be a plesiosaur tooth, so...

There is always some Kem Kem material on that show, so it's not a question IF there would be any Spino teeth. The question is: will there be any worth buying? I hope so :)

How did you go?

I am sure even if you didn't get a Spino tooth you will have picked up something nice.

Can't wait to see pics.

I just came back from the show. It went well. Very well :)

The guy, whom I usually buy Dino teeth from on this show, sadly didn't have any good Kem Kem material this year. He says it's becoming harder to get these days. I still got something interesting from him, a Peyeria libyca (fish) tooth.

But I didn't give up, and soon I found another seller, who DID have some Kem Kem material. And what goodies did he have! I ended up buying a Hybodus shark spine, a crocodile (not sure about the species) armor scute, a Spinosaurus tail vertebrae (!) and a 2 5/8 inch Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus tooth (!!!). Everything together for just 100 € Meg%20Dance.gif

The shark spine may have the tip from another spine glued to it (but I can't tell for sure, maybe it's just some repair done to it and the tip came from this fossil), but othherwise it looks very good. The Spino tooth is a beauty, it doesn't have perfect enamel, but it's still well preserved, and it has a very sharp, unworn tip. I also think it's partially rooted, too (but the majority of the tooth is just the crown, the root represents only 2 centimeters of the tooth). Anyway, a great buy indeed.

But there was another thing that shocked me. On the exhibition part of the show I saw 10 Meg teeth, which wouldn't be very shocking if they hadn't all come from the same site and were collected in about a month, and the site was in Slovenia! Holy Jesus on a pogo stick! I gotta visit that site one day. Before this was discovered only a few Meg teeth were ever found in Slovenia.

Anyway, pics of the newest additions to my collection will come later :D

The Spino

Could anyone help me with the position of the tooth in the mouth (at least the rough position)?

post-7253-0-39507700-1336921207_thumb.jpg

post-7253-0-82128300-1336921224_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I can upload some more photos of my most recent additions (all from the local fossil show I went to in mid May).

- Enchodus fish jaw with a tooth. It's from Morocco, but it is the real deal, not just some fake made from plaster. I got it at a really great price, too :)

- 2 pics of a possible Spinosaurus tail vert. Would anyone be able to help me out with this, is the ID correct?

post-7253-0-69749400-1338589799_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-95417800-1338589803_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-28498800-1338589817_thumb.jpg

And one more: a Hybodus shark dorsal spine. I examined it closely before buying and it looks like it could have been glued together, but all pieces belonged to the same spine, except from the very tip, I think that could have come from another spine like this. But this doesn't bother me, it was still a good buy as it was cheap too :)

I bought more fossils, but haven't taken pictures of all of them yet. Overall I'm very pleased with everything I bought, especially because I got all of the stuff for just around 150 €, gotta love bargains :D

post-7253-0-76841600-1338590179_thumb.jpg

Hi mate,

That is a cracker of a spino tooth, you did good!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

A few more pictures, I finally scanned the rest of the fossils (and one non-fossil) that I bought at that show:

- a Peyeria saw shark rostral (Taouz, Morocco)

- Asterophyllites horsetail, carboniferous age (France)

- a crocodile scute, can anyone help me with an ID? (Taouz, Morocco)

- a small slice of a meteorite, I've always wanted one :D

post-7253-0-28672900-1341508687_thumb.jpg

post-7253-0-50464800-1341508693_thumb.jpg

post-7253-0-16672700-1341508703_thumb.jpg

post-7253-0-68856300-1341508707_thumb.jpg

I think your scute most probably belongs to either Kentisuchus or Elosuchus but I don't know which one, hopefully someone on here might be able to give you more info.

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

A few more pictures, I finally scanned the rest of the fossils (and one non-fossil) that I bought at that show:

- a Peyeria saw shark rostral (Taouz, Morocco)

- Asterophyllites horsetail, carboniferous age (France)

- a crocodile scute, can anyone help me with an ID? (Taouz, Morocco)

- a small slice of a meteorite, I've always wanted one :D

Great bunch of teeth!..I'm still partial to plants but certainly the teeth and some of the trilo are really special. Thanks for sharing! Regards, Chris

Another drawing, this time it's a skull (a first for me). Everything was done entirely free-hand, only looking at a photo of the skull as a reference (a photo of Samson's skull, only I flipped the image first, It's easier for me to draw dino heads facing left to right for some reason). I only used a pencil and a rubber as the tools.

I hope I got the proportions right, at least mostly. Comments appreciated :)

post-7253-0-42790400-1343477545_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tyrannoraptor

• 2 weeks later...

Impressive collection. I especially like the Allosaurus tooth and the cave bear skull, not to mention the mammoth tooth and of course the Carcharodontosaurus. B)

That Allosaurus premax is one of my favorite fossils, along with the rex tooth. the T. rex tooth isn't what you'd call beautiful, but since my budget is rather small I'm still very happy with it. But the Allo tooth is in a good shape, a bit worn from feeding but overall a great piece and also a large example. Hopefully I'll get more dino teeth in time.

• 3 months later...

So, about a month ago (13th october to be precise) I went to an organised fossil hunt to a fossil site near Laško, Slovenia. The site is of early Miocene age, consisting mostly of sandstone, and contains many different fossils, but mostly clams and small shark teeth (mostly makos, although a few other species have been found too, more about that in a minute). You can usually pick up shark teeth right from the eroded material under the sandstone layers (the layers are on a hillside, being sandstone the rock erodes very quickly) without need for digging much or anything; however the weather was far from perfect that day, with rain showers, so it made finding anything that much harder.

However, the trip was still very much worth it because of one find. My mum (who also went along, I guess I got her addicted to this hobby as well) and I were systematically going over the fossil layer, checking anything that looked interesting. I was busy with freeing a small pecten clam while about a meter away she noticed a small, triangular shaped thing sticking out of the layer. It turned out to be a neat little Galeocerdo aduncus tooth! It's only about 15 mm wide, but the find was quite a significant one, since these teeth are very rare at that site, and the paleontologist who organised the trip asked me to send him a photo of the tooth so he could archive it. I found a few smaller mako teeth and some clams as well, but this little tooth was the find of the day.

post-7253-0-14905000-1352741830_thumb.jpg

Also, I recently bought 2 of those "floating frames" for my rex and Allosaurus teeth. I thought they looked neat, so I asked a friend if he could get them for me at this year's Munich show (I didn't go this year). I got those frames (along with a few other plastic cases) a few days back, and couldn't be happier with them, as the teeth look perfect in them!

post-7253-0-01576100-1352741820_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-77366000-1352741823_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The dino teeth look great in their "floating" cases, certainly a unique change from the usual riker mounts that everyones got. Your story about dragging your mum to go fossil hunting with you certainly rings bells for me, lol it's the only way i can get to fossil hunting sites at the moment. Things will get better when i have my P's. Congrats on the shark tooth btw. If only you were the one to find it, i hate when my parent's find a better fossil than i do. I never hear the end of it lol

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

The dino teeth look great in their "floating" cases, certainly a unique change from the usual riker mounts that everyones got. Your story about dragging your mum to go fossil hunting with you certainly rings bells for me, lol it's the only way i can get to fossil hunting sites at the moment. Things will get better when i have my P's. Congrats on the shark tooth btw. If only you were the one to find it, i hate when my parent's find a better fossil than i do. I never hear the end of it lol

Ha, I don't have to drag her with me to visit any fossil sites, she likes to go along as it's her interest too. I don't complain since she seems to be very lucky with finding nice fossils :)

I've been looking for a better way to display my dinosaur teeth too, and these floating frames immediately caught my attention, they really are brilliant. I was a bit worried that the thin membranes might get pierced by the sharp edges of my rex tooth, it's quite a fat tooth and I thought the tension on membranes would be too great, but my worries were unjustified. The two transparent membranes may be very thin, but they are also strong. But really, the teeth look fantastic in them!

• 5 months later...

Four of my most recent acquisitions, I'm very pleased with all of them :)

First, a Bone Valley Megalodon tooth. It's not large, but I loved the color of it, so I had to add it to my collection.

post-7253-0-57262400-1368619028_thumb.jpg

Second fossil, a Morrocan raptor tooth (labeled as Deltadromeus agilis, but I have a suspicion that this is a raptor tooth; either way I'm happy with it, it didn't cost all that much either)

post-7253-0-68135300-1368619034_thumb.jpg

A Rebbachisaurus tooth, something I had wanted to add to my collection for quite a while now. It's the second herbivorus dinosaur tooth in my collection, and the first sauropod at that. It might stay so for quite some time, since sauropod teeth are usually higher priced and more rare. Besides, how much better could it get for the same price (90 €)? :)

post-7253-0-22090000-1368619009_thumb.jpg

And lastly, a little Carcharodontosaurus saharicus tooth. I already have one Carch tooth that is larger than tis one, but I just couldn't let this one pass, as it is absolutely perfect! I don't think there's any enamel missing at all (the line at the bottom of the tooth is the same shape on both sides, and also the same as a few other teeth I found on the internet and compared them with mine), the serrations are in a superb shape. Basically that crack running from the base to the tip is the only imperfection, and the only way it could be better would be if it had the whole root :wub:

post-7253-0-91580300-1368619019_thumb.jpg

Very nice additions to your growing collection!

I especially like the meg tooth and the carch tooth - color of the greenish enamel of the meg looks amazing and the enamel of the carch tooth looks to be in really good shape.

Congrats and enjoy :)

Edited by AJ Plai

Thanks for posting all the photos and info over the last year and a half; it's been very interesting to look through them...and now I want an Allosaurus tooth more than ever...!

(...and a Tyrannosaurus claw and a Triceratops horn and a Stegosaurus tail spike and a big sauropod footprint and....)

Thanks guys, I've been very happy with these new pieces. The Meg tooth caught my eye immediately, it's small, but that gold and greenish color is beautiful. Plus the serrations aren't that bad either, and of the three Meg teeth I have this is my favorite (it's also the best looking and most complete of the three).

Carch is practically perfect, really. And it's not like one side is better than the other, they both look the same from the preservation aspect. I just couldn't let this one slip.

I also love the Rebbachi tooth. Sauropod teeth aren't usually that interesting in terms of looks, but there's still something very interesting about them. If nothing else it's cool to know it once belonged to a giant animal :)

notextinctyet, thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the info and the photos! I wish I had more interesting pieces, but luckily my collection is growing (slow, but steady). It can be difficult to get a nice Allosaurus tooth, but keep looking around the internet or fossil shows, something should pop up eventually :)

Edited by Tyrannoraptor

Great work Rok!

My favourite is definitely that perfect little Carc tooth.

Is it time for another pic with all the teeth displayed together again????

Perhaps, although the connector on my camera is broken, so I can't yet upload the photos to my computer (but I found a solution for this, so the photos should come in the next few days). Or I could do it with my mobile phone, but the photos won't be as good :)