My Always Growing Collection

Tyrannoraptor

An updated picture of all of my dinosaur teeth together (along with 3 non dinosaur fossils):

From left to right:

- top row: Triceratops Horridus tooth, Tyrannosaurus rex tooth, Allosaurus Fragilis tooth, Saltasaurus egg shell fragment

- middle row: Rebbachisaurus garasbae tooth, Spinosaurus & Carcharodontosaurus tooth, small Carcharodontosaurus tooth, two Moroccan raptor teeth (the second one labeled as Deltadromeus)

- bottom row: Mosasautus beaugei tooth, Siroccopteryx (pterosaur) wing claw, a plesiosaur tooth from Morocco

post-7253-0-97405200-1370340992_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Fantastic, they look great together.

What's next on your want list?

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

These are nice fossils I must say, yet not rare. You were probably charged way more than you should have paid. In morocco you can go to a poor mine worker and pay him 5 American dollars for more than half of the fossils shown here. Also when they are pulling up stumps sharks teeth and other fossils will fall out of the roots. This is one reason I don't get morocco fossils. However, nice collection.

Best of luck,

Bone Valley

These are nice fossils I must say, yet not rare. You were probably charged way more than you should have paid. In morocco you can go to a poor mine worker and pay him 5 American dollars for more than half of the fossils shown here. Also when they are pulling up stumps sharks teeth and other fossils will fall out of the roots. This is one reason I don't get morocco fossils. However, nice collection.

Best of luck,

Bone Valley

Moroccan dinosaur fossils of fine quality and lacking repair or restoration are rare. The vast majority are of poor preservation and are subject to multiple breaks and repairs. Getting great teeth of a considerable size in pristine condition is harder than you might think.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

...In morocco you can go to a poor mine worker and pay him 5 American dollars for more than half of the fossils shown here....

How much did it cost you to get to Morocco and back?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

While the Moroccan fossils themselves are not rare but none the less they are pretty rare to find them in that kind of condition.

The Carch & Spino teeth I would say, looks to be in the top 5% in terms of condition and quality from all the teeth I have seen so far.

Very nice collection!

Edited by AJ Plai

Thanks for the replies guys, I've been busy lately so I haven't had the time to check the forums too often :)

@ BoneValleyBoy: I know most of my material isn't all that rare (and some of the pieces were a bit overpriced), but I'm still pretty happy with what I have so far, and in time I'll have more (and nicer) pieces, no doubt about that! As for buying fossils, I much prefer buying a fossil if I have the option of seeing it myself first, even if the price can be a bit higher (I would prefer finding the fossil myself, but sadly there were no T. rexes in this neck of the woods...) ;)

Anyway, I'm starting to feel a strong itch that tells me I have to go hunting fossils myself again really soon; there is a number of local fossil sites I'd like to visit (or re-visit), just waiting to have more free time on my hands...

How much did it cost you to get to Morocco and back?

SNAP!

They look awesome Rok!

I want to do the same with mine very soon but I am having a lot of trouble getting the boxes I want through Riogrande, they are cool glass fronted jewellery boxes but you have to register and set up an account with them before you can purchase them.

• 1 month later...

I've photographed my collection as it is displayed (for now). I know the setup is far from perfect, some of the shelves are rather crammed, but it'll have to do for now. I've tried to arrange the fossils somewhat chronologically, although there may be a few chronologic errors on my side (some of them intentional, because I thought it looked better this way).

I can take more detailed pics of each shelf, but these will do for start.

To start from the bottom with my oldest fossils:

post-7253-0-24498000-1375522625_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-91587600-1375522607_thumb.jpg

More to come soon :)

Edited by Tyrannoraptor

Thanks. I've seen much better displays from other members here, but since I can't afford a glass showcase (or a few) I have to work with what I can use :)

Next photos (triassic & jurassic):

post-7253-0-37373500-1375526083_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-39936600-1375526069_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tyrannoraptor

Jurassic & Cretaceous:

post-7253-0-08124300-1375526188_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-09685200-1375526203_thumb.jpg

I included a few models (well, mostly they are more toys, rather than serious models, except for the Allosaurus model). I don't have any Brachiosaurus or Stegosaurus fossils yet (and chances are I never will), but those two dinos still belong on this shelf next to my Allo tooth, I guess :D

And more Cretaceous stuff, which should please the dino lovers:

post-7253-0-71307000-1375526469_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-95843000-1375526447_thumb.jpg

By the way, the article on display behind the Rex tooth is my own, it got published in this publication: http://drustvopmfs.hobby-site.org/drustvenenovice.html

Unfortunatley it's in Slovene language so it won't be in much use to most of you folks here :P

Great collection, how much did you pay for the Keichousaurus hui skeleton? if you dont mind me asking.

Not at all, I think I bought it for around 200 € (now that I think of it I'm not entirely sure whether it was 200 or 250, but deffinitely not more) :)

And thanks everyone!

next pics: my younger (and mostly marine) fossils; I gotta take a more detailed photo of the things in that wooden box, those are my own finds from a small fossil site near my home (mostly sea urchins, but also a coral, some clam cores,...)

post-7253-0-09331400-1375821749_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-07387800-1375821732_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Nice collection!

Thank you! :)

I haven't been active for quite a while now (but I always lurk around, even when I'm not signed in), so much stuff has been going on and as a result my collecting took a backtrack. I did visit a couple of local fossil sites, so there are some new specimens on my shelves, but nothing quite as exciting as a dinosaur tooth for example ;)

I did get, however, a new Tyrannosaurus (Rebor, 1:35 scale) and Triceratops (Papo) models to liven up my collection, and they now proudly stand next to their respective teeth. I also had some fun with them and made a few photos - I tried to photograph these two models as if they were in their natural habitat, some 65 million years ago :D

post-7253-0-09790800-1439454369_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-96477400-1439454370_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-14765200-1439454373_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-45149400-1439454375_thumb.jpg

Edit: I took more time whith the last two photos so they are more refined while the first two are "early edits". I did remove the gap between the jaw and the neck of the T. rex with Photoshop (the jaw is articulated and can be posed however you like), I wanted the scene to look as realistic as possible. The black and white photo kinda looks like something from an early, classic movie perhaps...

Edited by Tyrannoraptor

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello, I'm back after a long hiatus. Truth be told, I haven't had much time for fossil hunting and collecting lately, however I am hoping to correct that!

Anyway, here's a nice Bahariasaurus (before you say anything, yes, I am fully aware of the problems regarding this ID, so I am putting a question mark next to it) tooth I acquired last year. I had a choice between this tooth, which was slightly larger, a lot fatter and more robust, and another that was in a somewhat better shape, but thinner. In the end I went with this one, as I thought it had more character.

From the cross section shape I assume it's a premax tooth. It actually reminds me a lot of my Allosaurus tooth, it's almost exactly the same size and very similar in overall shape.

It's good to be back :)

DSC_2033_small.jpg.15b541389c5f791623e24136ba77a3cc.jpgDSC_2032_small.thumb.jpg.94086351bd0595b4191e2b0272a7c6dd.jpg