Verts Last Week, Unknown Tooth Fragment Today

sward

Last week I had posted this pic of some verts I had found. I ended up finding three verts, all within about 8" of each other. Xiphanctinus graciously identified them as a bony fish.

Today I decided to dig around in the same spot, hopefully finding the complete remains (I can always dream). No luck, but I was able to find this tooth fragment, about 6" from where I found the verts.

Is it possible this would be a tooth from a bony fish? I found some "similar" examples by doing a google search, but nothing definitive.

post-6450-0-87294000-1320174121_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-52037600-1320174185_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-27974700-1320174234_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-87600600-1320174262_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-38730700-1320174311_thumb.jpg

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Nice finds, sorry I cant help with ID of tooth I did a quick google search like you but theres a few things it could be and I wouldnt like to hazard a guess , but im sure one of the tooth guys will help

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

If I had to bet $$$ I'd put it on Xiphactinus tooth, especially since you found it in the area of fish vertebrae. Having said that, it is pretty robust. The other option could be mosasaur, but it might not be robust enough for that. I'll let the guys that have had the fortune of finding mosasaur teeth in the area weigh in on that.

Barracuda was my first impression, but thought this tooth was too large. Maybe a distant cousin

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Barracuda was my first impression, but thought this tooth was too large. Maybe a distant cousin

I thought it was too large also, then I just realized the tooth is in centimeters not inches. You can see mm on the scale. I don't no how I missed that. I'm sticking to barracuda for now.