Red Echinoid From The Nsr

Kimmersaurus Tex

Fossil hunting in the NSR with my hubby on Nov. 2, I was not having much luck until I stumbled across this beautiful red echinoid. I have never found an echinoid in the NSR, but really was anxious to find one. I love that it was red too! My favorite find there so far.

post-5363-0-36555500-1320361662_thumb.jpg

Anyone know any more about these?

Kimmersaurus Tex

echies are kinda rare in the red zone... i've seen hemiaster beecheri referenced in mckenzie's nsr book...start your comparisons there.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Fossil hunting in the NSR with my hubby on Nov. 2, I was not having much luck until I stumbled across this beautiful red echinoid. I have never found an echinoid in the NSR, but really was anxious to find one. I love that it was red too! My favorite find there so far.

post-5363-0-36555500-1320361662_thumb.jpg

Anyone know any more about these?

Kimmersaurus Tex

That's a first for me! Never have found one or heard of any in all the years I've hunted there! Congratulatios on a rare fine! : )

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

That's a first for me! Never have found one or heard of any in all the years I've hunted there! Congratulatios on a rare fine! : )

If Mike says it's rare, it's rare: congratulations!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Congratulations on the excllent find!

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Backstory:

Right after Kim asked me if we could find Echinoids in the NSR, I thoughtfully explained to her that it was "very improbable in this section of the NSR. I know they are in the book, but the author meant they were in another section of the NSR." Kim promptly looked down and said "LOOK! I found an Echinoid!!!" I was thinking, surely it has to be something else. To my surprise, there it was.

Now don't you think I felt like an idiot. ; )

Love yer find Kimmer!

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

Kimmersaurus,

Could get more pics of all views?

I knew echs could be found there but have never seen one. Barry

found one recently from the NSR.. It looks quite a bit like yours..

Welcome to the forum!

Nice redbed echinoid, they are so rare to find in any condition, thanks for sharing--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Ok so DON'T laugh, but I found two pieces of echinoid today at the NSR. Maybe they are being exposed somewhere??????

post-4072-0-80524800-1321063798_thumb.jpg

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Ok so DON'T laugh, but I found two pieces of echinoid today at the NSR. Maybe they are being exposed somewhere??????

Yes maybe a layer that was well covered is coming into play.. Odd how rare they seem to be there

and are suddenly turning up.. I think you are onto something with your thinking..

Welcome to the forum!

Archived