That Ain't Amber, But Maybe A Fossil?

Lettuce1001

Hi -- I look my young son to the clay beds in Sayreville, NJ this weekend to look for amber (or, most hopefully, something in amber). We left with just a few pebbles. But in some gravel at the site, he pulled out what he was *convinced* was a shark tooth.

While I initially dismissed it as a rock, my son -- who at 7 is pretty up on his game -- made a convincing case for further analysis. There's an enamel-like substance on the "top" side, with a smooth, rounded back, and there appears to be dark fossil remains where the "root" would have been. I haven't tried to clean the clay off of it, (nor am I sure its possible, or even if its clay and not, you know, just a rock).

Here are the pics:

thing1.jpg

thing2.jpg

thing3.jpg

thing4.jpg

I don't know where Sayreville, NJ would fit in NJ fossil hunting eras. We usually do the Big Brook/Ramunessen Creek thing here in NJ, and are used to some late Cretaceous finds. And though I know the Sayreville site was a quarry and has a history of some fossils, I was under the impression it was primarily plant, shells and imprints found there. Oh, and rocks.

Anyway -- thanks for any help with this!

I don't see anything that is even close to being shark tooth like with that one.

Edited by RickNC

Lettuce 1001,

Welcome to the Forum! :)

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing anything that would suggest this is a fossil. :(

Looks like an odd piece of gravel to me. :unsure:

Keep looking though! ;)

Welcome, again!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me