St Paul Indiana

squalicorax

Got a chance to collect in the St Paul Stone Quarry in St. Paul Indiana.

The quarry is silurian aged waldron shale

here we are waiting at the gates

b9Xj0l.jpg

The quarry is mined for dolomite and the uneconomical waldron shale needs to be cleared away.

MBoIOl.jpg

We were driven to a particular area to collect at. They had dumped piles and piles of shale on the ground with fossils weathering out everywhere.

Heres me after the long day of collecting

2ERQDl.jpg

I forgot to take in situ pics because I was so overwhelmed with the fossils.

here are some of my finds

My best Eucalyptocrinus crassus calyx

Z11Y3l.jpg

A Eucalyptocrinites elrodi calyx

4jNuyl.jpg

Unknown Calyx

GINnUl.jpg

Calymene Trilobites

I1psjl.jpg

Dalmanities

1Liw9l.jpg

1M5tgl.jpg

Brachiopods

Leptaena

3mn6tl.jpg

FlkjNl.jpg

Unicinulus stricklandi

J6J1Al.jpg

Fardenia subplana

Kug2Rl.jpg

Eospirifer radiatus

MrU1vl.jpg

Platyostoma

KENIXl.jpg

Decachisma blastoid which made the regulars very upset because it was my first time collecting there.

5tivwl.jpg

1NaLGl.jpg

Sponges

bxwr9l.jpg

Favosite coral balls. bigger ones around an inch or two

Zs1oXl.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets

Great trip, very nice finds. I was wondering before it was asked how you gained access... seems the only way anymore is with a club.

Congrats on the finds, I have also found most of that stuff that day also. Except the trilos, and blastoid. I have some bigger stuff I need to have prepared, as seeing I believe there is stuff in them I just dont know how to go about it without ruining it. I also found a cephlapod section that day also. Ill try to post pics later. It was nice huntin with ya by the way dude.

düd killer trip! i've dabbled just slightly in the waldron and you did quite well.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Great report and nice finds. The Waldron Shale is always in my dream.

Same question, do you have to be in a club in order to get access to the quarry?

Thanks,

Wei

Great trip, very nice finds. I was wondering before it was asked how you gained access... seems the only way anymore is with a club.

What strikes me is the variety of fossils found there. :o I have never been to a place

where trilobites and blastoids could be found at the same place.. I love that

quarry! I enjoyed reading about your trip too.. :)

I have never seen Favosite coral balls before either.. Way cool!!

Welcome to the forum!

Good report and pics! :)

Thanks for sharing with us!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yea I'd be curious to find out if its open single collectors.

Not sure about single collectors. The insurance liability for these quarry's really drags down the access to them.

the quarry is about 40 minutes from Indianapolis.

thanks for looking everyone, it really was a great day.

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets

Dude, you made out well there despite the small collecting area. Congrats! I am especially drolling over the tiny blastoid. :) *drool*

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Great trip report! I was also on the trip and will post some pictures when I get things cleaned up. Congratulations on the blastoid. Those are tough to find.

Hmm small world. I remember you were the guy that Tom and John were talking about the rest of the day for finding one of the few Blastoids known from that quarry. You had a very good day, way to go!

Mike

I doubt it. I have done this for years and you have good trips and bad ones. You just had a really good one.

It was a wired year though in terms of finding good stuff and I pulled out four prone Calymene that were complete which is not usual. I tend to find perhaps one enrolled one if I'm lucky and perhaps one or two for the whole group per trip. This trip everyone was finding them. And then earlier this year in May a lot of unusual Crinoid material was found. So overall it was a good year there. You were with the Wisconsin group I assume?

• 2 months later...