St Paul Indiana

squalicorax

Nice job cleaning those fossils up, I'm very envious. The Calcite crystal and a beauty too, slight etching near the terminal tip is a nice touch. Is it completely opaque or just on the surface?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The crystal is weird. Found some smaller ones around the area and it seems to be partially clear and opaque. Hard to tell with the white coating. I think it makes it look cooler.

Here is a sponge?

post-4216-0-37664500-1326999554_thumb.jpg

A small but diverse plate with crinoid stem, favosite coral, bryozoans, gastropod, many species of brachiopods, a few pieces of the trilobite Otarion. Favorite plate probably.

post-4216-0-97474700-1326999565_thumb.jpg

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets

Nice fossils and prep job, the air abrader really does work wonders, or is there a lot of skill involved as well? - starting to wish I had one...

Nice fossils and prep job, the air abrader really does work wonders, or is there a lot of skill involved as well? - starting to wish I had one...

Thanks, I am just getting used to prepping and producing quality specimens. Luckly the folks on this forum are very helpful in getting myself set up with the poor mans air blaster and I have easily prepped many specimens already to my surprise none of them are damaged. I spent 50+100+5+10 so 165 bucks on my set up.

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets

The blastoid looks great!

I still need to clean most of the fossils that i found on the trip.

Here is a picture of my large Calymene breviceps

post-1202-0-28720400-1327260721_thumb.jpg

post-1202-0-57821700-1327260781_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hey folks! Here's my first post on the forums, and definitely not my last.

I haven't had much time to clean up my finds yet so pictures of those are yet to come, but some folks here might be interested in the stratigraphy of the quarry we visited. I had to prepare a stratigraphic column, and short report on the rock formations to justify me missing class (geology grad student) to attend this trip.

Here's a few shots outlining the 3 Silurian units present in the quarry. There wasn't much of any fossil material in the units bounding the Waldron, but they're still interesting to a geology nerd!

Here you can see all 3 formations present in the quarry. These rocks are all Silurian aged, and rest conformably on top of each other.

raj1hl.jpg

This next one shows mostly the Waldron. You can see just how thin the Waldron truly is, and this is basically as thick as it gets!

TBqCFl.jpg

Finally, here's the stratigraphic column I drafted up from my field notes. My observations weren't too detailed because I was anxious to get collecting.

hsbFi.jpg

I had fun with this little project, and might try to do something similar with every trip I go on. Fossil pics to come soon!

Thanks for looking!

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks, evren; definitely serious value-added!

Glad you could make this use of your field-time, without cutting into your collecting opportunity too much :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 1 year later...

Hello Ive. :). Without access to a air scribe; which seems to be a preppers tool of choice, I find soaking the specific areas you intend to prep with water, and then using dental picks and needles to remove the matrix. I have some fossils from St. Paul that I prepped in this manner in my fb albums. ;)

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

would either of these work for cleaning Waldren fossils?

Chicago Pneumatic CP710 Engraving Pen$68.75
Pneumatic Air Scribe Engraving Pen Jewelers Hand T...49.93

I bought the small air abrasive kit from harbor freight for $79. Fits on a desktop and works very good for the price. Almost the same as the paasche. Comes with a small very quiet compressor and a comfortable hand held blaster.

Edited by snakebite6769

The only one I could find at Harbor Feight was this one for 39.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=small+air+abrasive+kit+

Can you post a link to the $79 one, please.

I think this might be the one that Snakebite6769 was refering to.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 10/18/2013 at 12:05 PM, Ive said:

Yes, but I believe it can be used for air abrasives as well.

Maybe Snakebite6769 will reply with the actual one he got, but the link I gave you is the only kit with compressor that harbor freight sells for around $79.00 bucks. (Online, at least!) :)

I personally have an Central Pneumatics air eraser I got from Harbor Freight for about $20.00 - they don't sell them online, but usually have them in-store.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me