Lithosquiggles

tracer

So anybody know what this is? It covered the side of a fairly large rock (several hundred pounds) in a river in cretaceous central texas area. There were no other such rocks nearby, so I assume it had been carried downstream by flash flooding.

post-488-1218383304_thumb.jpg

It looks like limestone, so I figured it didn't just form that way. Stromatolites or something? If I'm showing my ignorance, then please answer when you're finished laughing.

"Fan mail from some flounder!" (Apologies to Rocky & Bullwinkle). I've not seen it's like in limestone; I assume you didn't carry is home ("Fossil Olympics Gold Medalist Recovering Slowly"). Did you knock a hunk off to see whether the pattern has depth?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

"Fan mail from some flounder!" (Apologies to Rocky & Bullwinkle). I've not seen it's like in limestone; I assume you didn't carry is home ("Fossil Olympics Gold Medalist Recovering Slowly"). Did you knock a hunk off to see whether the pattern has depth?

No, I actually just took a couple of pictures of it and left it where it was. I do that quite a bit with stuff I find that won't fit in a ziplock bag.

Kinda cool - ideas on formation?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

No. It was in a river bed. Nothing similar nearby. Flash flood area. All I know is likely cretaceous.