Need Help Id'ing Possible Fossils

bkstyl

I am new to the forum and new to fossil collecting. I found several possible fossil's on a family trip at Lewes Beach in Lewes, DE. I've searched the net and various forums for over a week and have not been able to ID them. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

First set, 3 images showing different views of a rock/possible fossil.

post-685-1218478184_thumb.jpg

post-685-1218478203_thumb.jpg

post-685-1218478217_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

The second group is a pebble that has a section of some kind of rugose coral, and a small piece of bryozoan.

In the third group, the first one is also a coral. As is the second one, but it is a scleractinian(all the others are Paleozoic; this one is probably Cenozoic). The third one is an ossicle from a crinoid.

Not a lot there on the last one, but it too, is probably a coral. It is a longitudinal section, whereas the other corals are cross sections.

The first group, I don't know, but I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to vertebrate stuff. To me it looks like a chert nodule, but it could be a tooth. I'm sure someone here will know.

The first one looks like it might be a crab or lobster. Very similar to the water-rounded crab nodules I used to find at Westmorland State Park (Miocene).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Because of the lack of symmetry, the first one looks like a chert nodule as earlier suggested. Others have already been IDed as corals. Last one sort of looks like a brachiopod impression, but could be coral.

Guest solius symbiosus
Last one sort of looks like a brachiopod impression, but could be coral.

That was my first impression, but looking on the right side, posteriorly, it looks like the thing has depth(septa where it has weathered). That is why I was thinking coral.

I'm not saying that's not just a piece of chert, but it's one of the most interesting pieces of chert I've seen, and I bet it drinks Dos Equis.

I'm not sure I'd want that piece of chert in my house. I mean, what if it's a lithic cocoon, and something morphs out of it while you're sleeping...

I'm not sure I'd want that piece of chert in my house. I mean, what if it's a lithic cocoon, and something morphs out of it while you're sleeping...

Tracer, you're tired. Get some sleep. :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Tracer,

Being new to fossils, I was thinking the same thing until I was sure what it was.....

Thanks

Will

Thank you to everyone for your help. I going to do some research and try to find out what all of those things are....

Any recommended reading/websites?

Thanks,

Will