Fossil Tooth

fossil hunter 44

Might help if we knew where it was from (geologically, geographically, anything you know would help).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i live near grand rapids Michigan. i found the tooth in my backyard halfway in the dirt

andrewsig.jpg

Wait a minute! Oh, no, nevermind. I thought for a minute that was one of MY teeth, but I've never been near Grand Rapids...

Looks like it's missing the enamel. Is it mineralized?

Here's the best bear tooth pic I could find (more curved, and with a more massive root):

post-423-1218508203_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Poke it with a red-hot needle and sniff; a revolting burning hair smell = not mineralized.

(That said, under unusual conditions, recent material can become mineralized and ancient stuff not).

Is the dirt in your yard native, or could it be fill brought in from elsewhere?

i think the dirt is is native. my yard is wooded on a hill there is a lot of erosion.

i found the tooth where the dirt was washed away.

andrewsig.jpg

Much better pics! Now we can see the enamel, so it is a tooth. By shape, it is from a carnivore, probably mammal. It has also tested positive for minrealization, so it's not from someone's pet dog. The thickness isn't classic wolf, and the straightness isn't classic bear...what else is there?