Show Us Your Bird Fossils!

Kosmoceras

Hi all,

I thought it would be interesting to see your bird fossils. i have been told they are rare, but I know you guys have some fantastic ones. Can't wait to see them! :D

Well, lets start it of:

St Marks River Florida, 2 Million Years old, Pleistocene, USA. Cormorant.

post-4683-0-70594600-1322234454_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Hi Thomas,

Attached is my pride and joy bird fossil. Liaoxiornis delicatus is from the early Cretaceous Yixian Formation of Liaoning Province, China. This genus of Enantiornithine, meaning "opposite bird", was the smallest avialan of the Mesozoic with distinguishing features unlike modern birds and a possible key to understanding the evolution of Avian flight. The example posted is 12 cm in length with teeth intact and superb articulation and preservation.

Enjoy! :D

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hi Thomas,

Attached is my pride and joy bird fossil. Liaoxiornis delicatus is from the early Cretaceous Yixian Formation of Liaoning Province, China. This genus of Enantiornithine, meaning "opposite bird", was the smallest avialan of the Mesozoic with distinguishing features unlike modern birds and a possible key to understanding the evolution of Avian flight. The example posted is 12 cm in length with teeth intact and superb articulation and preservation. Also included is a paper with a wonderful fossil and reconstruction of skeletal elements. Enjoy! :D

Quite beautiful fossil bird :drool: . Prepared by yourself?

This isn't exactly in my personal collection as I collected this under a research permit, but this is UCMP 219007 from the Purisima Formation, a partial humerus of Pelagornis sp., one of the youngest specimens known worldwide. Bobby

Edit: I published this find with my colleague Dr. Adam Smith back in May. Here's the citation:

Boessenecker, R.W. and N.A. Smith. 2011. Latest Pacific basin record of a bony-toothed bird (Aves, Pelagornithidae) from the Pliocene Purisima Formation of California, U.S.A. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 31(3):652-657.

post-225-0-14022300-1322253246_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boesse
  • I found this Informative 1

Truly awesome! I hear they find some at Fossil Butte near Kemmemer, Wyoming. I'll never find one, but I enjoy seeing them. Great collection!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Edit: I published this find with my colleague Dr. Adam Smith back in May. Here's the citation:

Boessenecker, R.W. and N.A. Smith. 2011. Latest Pacific basin record of a bony-toothed bird (Aves, Pelagornithidae) from the Pliocene Purisima Formation of California, U.S.A. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 31(3):652-657.

Small world. I've known Adam since he was a struggling undergrad in Kentucky...

Edited by Lloyd

Hi Thomas,

Attached is my pride and joy bird fossil. Liaoxiornis delicatus is from the early Cretaceous Yixian Formation of Liaoning Province, China. This genus of Enantiornithine, meaning "opposite bird", was the smallest avialan of the Mesozoic with distinguishing features unlike modern birds and a possible key to understanding the evolution of Avian flight. The example posted is 12 cm in length with teeth intact and superb articulation and preservation. Also included is a paper with a wonderful fossil and reconstruction of skeletal elements. Enjoy! :D

One of ''The collection'' stars is shining :sword:

Thanks, Scott, and for the surrounding infos ;):)

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

This isn't exactly in my personal collection as I collected this under a research permit, but this is UCMP 219007 from the Purisima Formation, a partial humerus of Pelagornis sp., one of the youngest specimens known worldwide. Bobby

Neat find and job B)

Thanks for showing ;)

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Thanks guys! Lloyd, you'll be happy to know that Adam is now a successful researcher with a freshly minted Ph.D., and is a postdoc at NESCENT in North Carolina.

Thanks Boesse... I've kept in touch over the years so knew he took the walk this past summer and is now back in NC where his PhD quest started.

One of ''The collection'' stars is shining :sword:

Thanks, Scott, and for the surrounding infos ;):)

Thank you Astrinos and to the others for their nice comments as well. :D

Look forward to seeing a few more fossil birds perched in this thread... :P

Look forward to seeing a few more fossil birds perched in this thread... :P

Chas hasn't seen this topic :P:)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

If I could find it I would show the bird ungual ( claw ) (cretaceous, late) I have some where around here :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

Linxia, China

这鸟是从临夏来的?这是我第一次见过一个从甘肃来的鸟。它的科学名是什么...? :o

这鸟是从临夏来的?这是我第一次见过一个从甘肃来的鸟。它的科学名是什么...? :o

That translates to:

This bird come fromLinxia? This is the first time I saw a bird from Gansu. Its scientific name is....?

That translates to:

This bird come fromLinxia? This is the first time I saw a bird from Gansu. Its scientific name is....?

Here, then, is another; the skull of a small ostrich (sp. ind.):

post-423-0-25663900-1325185914_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here, then, is another; the skull of a small ostrich (sp. ind.):

post-423-0-25663900-1325185914_thumb.jpg

Something new Chas? That one is incredible... please tell us the particulars: age, formation, etc. :D

Something new Chas? That one is incredible... please tell us the particulars: age, formation, etc. :D

I've had this for quite a while. It is from the late Miocene of the Linxia Basin, Gansu, China; from an old collection, it was prepped by Marc Behrendt, and the species is (thus far) indeterminate.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

That's interesting. I'll show my professional chinese vertebrate paleontologist who specializes in Gansu fossils, if you don't mind? Perhaps he might have an answer...

Thank you, I'd appreciate that!