Mazon Creek...a Shrimp?

kurtdog

Maybe a polychaete annelid; very cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

Nice preservation, but I have always steered clear of Mazon Creek stuff ... as I thought that I would never hunt it.

Many years ago I spent a lot of time at the Mazon localities and am a little familiar with the fauna. I have to say I have never seen anything like your specimen. I would highly recommend that you show it to someone at the Field Museum or Northern Illinois University. I think that is where Dr. Shabica is stationed. It is definitely something but I have no idea what. I do not think it is a worm but I could be wrong. Very nice specimen. Do you have both halves?

Many years ago I spent a lot of time at the Mazon localities and am a little familiar with the fauna. I have to say I have never seen anything like your specimen. I would highly recommend that you show it to someone at the Field Museum or Northern Illinois University. I think that is where Dr. Shabica is stationed. It is definitely something but I have no idea what. I do not think it is a worm but I could be wrong. Very nice specimen. Do you have both halves?

Thanks everyone! :)

Crinus, he's at Northeastern, I looked him up--thanks! I'll try and contact him soon. Just have that one half, though...that's how I found it. Very interesting to hear this from someone who is familiar with the fauna there, though...

The more I look at this, the more I think it's some kind of seed cone. I have some from Kansas from a similar formation that are somewhat similar, but not exactly. I'll be curious to find out what it actually is!

The more I look at this, the more I think it's some kind of seed cone. I have some from Kansas from a similar formation that are somewhat similar, but not exactly. I'll be curious to find out what it actually is!

Y'know, it does resemble a Lycopodium fruiting body...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I sent out an email this afternoon to Professor Shabica at Northeastern linking this thread so he could take a look at the specimen if he gets the time. All we have to do now is keep our fingers crossed. :D BTW...you all aren't released from the job just yet...more to identify when I get that camera back again and get in that photographic mood. Thanks! :)