"brinicle", Must See Video + Story

bdevey

...Wow! :blink:

I never thought something like that was able to happen. It's like straight out of a 70's sci-fi program.

It seems entirely possible for organisms on the ancient sea floor to be frozen like that and later preserved,

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

It is very interesting but has nothing to do with fossils. Do mods ever move topics here? I constantly move them over on the forum where I am a mod. Just curious.

Brilliant video that has quite a story to tell of taphonomic conditions encountered by ancient organisms .

A BRINICLE?? :o WOW!! Thanks Bob :D

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

That is wild! This earth is chock full of amazing stuff. I wonder how many mass exterminations of marine environments have been caused by this over the millions of years of freezing and thawing of the oceans. Especially during climactic shifts such as the ice age where you would have large areas affected. Really interesting stuff! Thanks Bdevey! :) Oh here is another video that has to do with ice and bivalves tho not really fossil related, just interesting I thought! http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Z0qGvC3vqaA <http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Z0qGvC3vqaA>

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

I have never even heard of a brinicle before... when I first clicked the link I thought it was barnacle mispelled. Incredible stuff. Thanks for posting this.