Hammer Mishap

Maniraptoran

i hope someone will find this funny. I think i damaged my hammer while cracking open a few rocks. does anyone know if i can repair this thing?

post-6760-0-37718800-1322506621_thumb.jpg post-6760-0-98626400-1322506624_thumb.jpg

You should get a rock hammer (they have them at Lowes get a Eastwing). Carpentry hammers aren't built for that. And it would be pointless to try to fix it as one welded itll be weaker than it originally was.

One with strengthened steal. A birck hammer will do if you are skint, but eastwing is best, forged from one piece of hardened steal, so no chance of the head smashing off.

Edited by Odinofthenorth

I laughed out loud when I saw your picture. :rofl: 

I have seen hammers break, but i have never seen the head break clean off. Carpenter's hammers will simply be destroyed if you try and use them to smash rocks. I would definately try to obtain a proper hammer, as everyone else is advocating. I am not sure it would be an easy fix to repair your hammer.

Funny? Yes, but the laughing would have stopped (by you anyway) if the piece had bonked you in the head. :P No fixing for that hammer. Only good for throwing at pesky critters.

A bricklayer's hammer is your cheapest alternative. If you are going to continue at bashing rocks, get a good one, like Jim said.

A bricklayer's hammer or a geological pic from Estwing is good if you are chipping rock. If you want to break some rocks get a 2 lb. or 3 lb. Estwing crack hammer and a couple of good Estwing chisels. Oh, don't forget some goggles.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

it was only a replica of a hammer anyway...

those cast hammers are dangerous tho, try the flea market for a cheap used estwing :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

it is very important to exercise caution when beating on rocks. many of my larger "incidents" have involved beating on rocks. some rocks shoot off razor sharp shards. sometimes a hammer can glance off a rock and attack you. sometimes you hit your thumb. sometimes you drop the rock on your foot, or a piece breaks off and lands on your foot. sometimes pieces fly off at your face. and then of course you have to be careful when you're walking, climbing, etc. with a hammer in your hand that has a pick or a blade on it. you don't want to fall on it. i carry it with the pointiest end facing backwards so if i fall i hopefully won't fall on the pointiest part of it. i fall fairly frequently. it's something i'm sort of good at, so i don't feel that bad when it happens, unless i get hurt. lately it seems i'm like a turtle on my back when i fall, kind of rolling around trying to figure out what to do to get back on my feet. but i was talking about hammers. i use the pointiest end of the hammer to help keep me from sliding down slopes. so then i go to hit a rock with it and slide down the slope before i can swing it...

i am not recommending this, but um, i did recommend it kind of recently when it seemed necessary under the circumstances - when you slice yourself open on a rock you hit with a hammer, if you happen to have some super glue handy, do not for a minute think that tracer said anything at all about using the super glue to field stabilize anything other than fragile fossils, cuz i'm sure they don't sell that stuff to stifle rock-attack damage so you can carry on with your vicissitudinous field exploints.

Hammer is broken. No repair can make it withstand even minimal use. Follow recommendations above.

Be true to the reality you create.