Coral Or Whale Bone?

jrussell1495

hello, I have found several pieces of this bone, coral ?

I had just assumed it was a coral type but I saw a piece in the store and it was

labeled whale bone, It was found in northern California on the beaches

I also have a large piece about 50 pounds or so. thanks for any help

Resize the pic to be smaller and try again. If it works, it should show up in the "Manage Current Attachments" list. I have noticed that some larger pictures seem to upload, but don't, even though they are under the 2MB limit.

Looks like coral to me. Bone is porous as well, but not THAT porous.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I think the "pores" are too irregular to be coral; they also lack any internal structure. Could it be of volcanic origin?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I collect weathered fossil Miocene whalebone like that, it washes up on the beach in Northern California, at Bolinas.

Modern whale bone has that same porous structure.

Naw, I know what that stuff is. Its a tube worm colony. That stuff washes ashore all over Nor Cal... I've seen people calling it brain coral before. Keep looking though! Bolinas has all sorts of great stuff. Its also the type locality of "Carcharodon branneri", a synonym of C. megalodon.

Bobby

Bobby hit that one on the nail head. Tube worms for sure. Thats not a fossil one, but in some areas, especialy the Falore Formation, you can find tons of this stuff. We just left it behind.

RB

This is why I think it is whale bone. I've been diving 20 yr or so around No. and central CA coast, I've compared my sample (same as jrussel's) to modern whale bone seen in dive/surf shop windows, exhibits, in front of houses. Looks exactly the same to me.

This pic compares textures of my sample, jrussels and an alaskan whale vertebra carving. Now it's possible, just possible I'm crazy, but this looks like a match.

I know of no worm tubes that look like it. Let me know what you think.

post-525-1218644205_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Here are our suspects again, now compared to the reef-building tube worm Phragmatopoma californica.

The worm tubes are a more regular honeycomb pattern. In addition, colonial tube worms, in CA and elsewhere in the world, make their tubes out of cemented sand grains and/or shell detritus, not at all like our samples on the left.

I'm fairly confident what we have is exactly what your label states: whale bone. Fossil or more recent, I can't say.

post-525-1218739087_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I'm fairly confident what we have is exactly what your label states: whale bone. Fossil or more recent, I can't say.

Pretty compelling; you've gone the extra mile on this one!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

If you analyze individual "cells" of the specimen, it doesn't make sense that worms did it. Unless of course they were worms on drugs. I don't know anything about the type of worm alleged to have been at work here, but I've studied Serpula worm tubes, and I'm creative enough to imagine how I would do things if I were a worm, and I wouldn't do them like that. Then again, if I were a bone, and just trying to grow strong structurally, but still keep enough porosity inside to keep my buoyancy up and be able to absorb and dissipate gases, then I might grow like that. So for me, the answer is pretty simple. It's a Swiss sponge.

P.S. - If you find yourself trying to understand how a guy must think to post stuff like this, give it up. If you could understand, then you'd be like me, and you don't want to go there...

...It's a Swiss sponge.

It's a FOSSIL LOOFA! (Say it aloud; it's fun! Really!) :P

If you analyze individual "cells" of the specimen, it doesn't make sense that worms did it. Unless of course they were worms on drugs. I don't know anything about the type of worm alleged to have been at work here, but I've studied Serpula worm tubes,

Exactly. the holes are of irregular size and shape with common walls, not individual Serpula-like calcareous tubes packed together. Galeolaria caespitosa in Austrailia forms masses of calcareous tubes, but would not be mistaken for our specimen on closer inspection.

Sorry, but that just plain doesn't look like any whale bone I've ever seen - and I've seen a LOT of it. That stuff you've got washes ashore in huge chunks, sometimes up to over a foot across - I've seen it at Bolinas myself, and I've seen it near San Francisco, Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, etc. etc...

Additionally, the whalebone that does occur at Bolinas doesn't look like that. Its extremely hard, and has concretionary sediment infilling all the pores. Also, the "walls" between the holes are way too thick, and the holes themselves are long and tubular, and go every-which way; in a whale bone, they more or less are oriented in generally the same direction.

Trust me - I've seen huge chunks of that same blue-greyish stuff wash ashore everywhere along the California coast - its not whalebone, and it definitely ain't Bolinas whalebone.

(You can really trust me on the last point - I spent three hours at UC Berkeley looking at whale bones from Bolinas)

Bobby

It sounds like ya'll are starting to come around to my theory of a Swiss sponge. I doubt they have any Swiss sponge at Berkeley for comparison, however, because Berkeley is not in Sweden. What if it ends up really being some kind of a worm colony that lives in whales?

Sorry, but that just plain doesn't look like any whale bone I've ever seen - and I've seen a LOT of it. That stuff you've got washes ashore in huge chunks, sometimes up to over a foot across - I've seen it at Bolinas myself, and I've seen it near San Francisco, Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, etc. etc...

Additionally, the whalebone that does occur at Bolinas doesn't look like that. Its extremely hard, and has concretionary sediment infilling all the pores. Also, the "walls" between the holes are way too thick, and the holes Bobby

I have bags of the material you're talking about, and this this stuff does look different. If something did live in the holes, it got well cleaned out after death.

Whatever it is, it's still interesting. Someone in the area must know what did create this, I'll have to keep looking, thanks!

Art

Appears so to me, too. However, I haven't seen everything yet; if this stuff is that common, someone should be able to provide a positive ID. I'll keep looking and post what I find out, thanks.

WOW! (See my "signatere statement", below).

Thank you all for all the comments

I have a much larger piece about 40 pounds but I cant seem to get the pic small enough

I'll keep trying tho