Coral Or Whale Bone?

jrussell1495

That's what I was thinking! It most likely is a whale bone but it has been eaten away at by worms. Perhaps even before it was fossilized. There are two easy ways to find out if it is or not.

1. tap it against a stone or your teeth and it is clicks and sound like a rock, bingo, fossil.

2. Get a match or a lighter and burn a small end, just a little bit, if it smells like burning hair it's not fossilized.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Osedax spp. Leave a very distinctive pattern in the bone, and not like the piece from Bolinas.

The cross sectional shape of the pores in that chunk are round, unlike that of cancellous whale bone, where they are often angular, and polygonal; also, the pores are usually not that large.

There's no way its whale bone - I'll try to find a picture of the tubeworm species that produces that material. It may "look" sorta kinda maybe like whalebone... but its rather easy to pick them apart after seeing a LOT of each on beaches.

Bobby

I don't really have a guess at what it is, but two tests might help lead toward identification.

You might do a hardness test to see where it is on the Mohs scale.

Also put a few drops of vinegar on an inconspicuous spot. If it bubbles and reacts that may be an indication that there is some calcium in it and may be organic in origin. Of course, if it is fully fossilized all the calcium may be gone, so this test still doesn't rule out organic origin, but might confirm it.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

two tests might help lead toward identification.

You might do a hardness test to see where it is on the Mohs scale.

Also put a few drops of vinegar on an inconspicuous spot. If it bubbles and reacts

I did think of that, no fizz.

• 2 years later...

Bobby & Ron are right; those are colonies of polychete tube worms that calcify together (calcium carbonate), not fossilized or whale bone (calcium phosphate); washes up often here on the CA coast.

I also think recent invertebrate. I found a similar piece years ago south of Balboa Beach, CA, however I assumed that it was a colonial filter feeding gastropod mass similar to Vermicularia recta Olsson & Harbinson, 1953 that was commonly found in the Pliocene Pinecrest at the APAC pit in Sarasota, FL.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

If you analyze individual "cells" of the specimen, it doesn't make sense that worms did it. Unless of course they were worms on drugs. I don't know anything about the type of worm alleged to have been at work here, but I've studied Serpula worm tubes, and I'm creative enough to imagine how I would do things if I were a worm, and I wouldn't do them like that. Then again, if I were a bone, and just trying to grow strong structurally, but still keep enough porosity inside to keep my buoyancy up and be able to absorb and dissipate gases, then I might grow like that. So for me, the answer is pretty simple. It's a Swiss sponge.

P.S. - If you find yourself trying to understand how a guy must think to post stuff like this, give it up. If you could understand, then you'd be like me, and you don't want to go there...

:) Fossil worm.. :rofl:

Bear-dog.

I absolutely have to weigh in on the side of the worm voters. I have collected my share of both fossil whale bone and recent/fossil worm tube aggregations in CA and feel very sure the original posted fossil represents worm tubes.

I absolutely have to weigh in on the side of the worm voters. I have collected my share of both fossil whale bone and recent/fossil worm tube aggregations in CA and feel very sure the original posted fossil represents worm tubes.

Genus and species of worm?

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Osedax spp. Leave a very distinctive pattern in the bone, and not like the piece from Bolinas.

The cross sectional shape of the pores in that chunk are round, unlike that of cancellous whale bone, where they are often angular, and polygonal; also, the pores are usually not that large.

There's no way its whale bone - I'll try to find a picture of the tubeworm species that produces that material. It may "look" sorta kinda maybe like whalebone... but its rather easy to pick them apart after seeing a LOT of each on beaches.

Bobby

The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw this was a tube worm colony. I live on the east coast far from where it was found, but here on the atlantic side I come acorss this stuff all the time. I dont have rocks to bust open to find my fossils so 99% of my hunts are on the beach. Everytime I walk the beach I find objects similar to this. They dont seem as heavy or as solid as coral would be. I would try to crush a peice. I dont think you can crush whale bone in your fingers, but tube worm colonies are very brittle and will crumble in your hands most of the time as they are thin-walled structures.

Bobby would not blow smoke...he knows his whales. ;)

Cole~

• I found this Informative 1

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

Also, a sideview would be great.

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

Looks like coral to me. Bone is porous as well, but not THAT porous.

very well said. yeah, this looks coralish. Or worms. When it comes to whales Bobby is always right. (Dude, you owe me one for that).

Edited by jpc

It sounds like ya'll are starting to come around to my theory of a Swiss sponge. I doubt they have any Swiss sponge at Berkeley for comparison, however, because Berkeley is not in Sweden. What if it ends up really being some kind of a worm colony that lives in whales?

...and now its my turn to get bent out of shape. I like tracer's comments on this forum... he makes me laugh and his train of thought is way out in left field (i.e. brilliant), but being of Swiss decent, I must clarify for all those paying attention (or not), that Swiss means from Switzerland... not Sweden. Yes, I know this sounds trivial, but the semi-educated people out there might be surprised how many times I get asked if I speak Swedish like the Swedish Chef, or if I know the Swedish Bikini team. I'm Swiss goshdarnit. The fully educated people out there will just ignore this rant, and the non-educated have just been edumacated. I like to think tracer knows the dif, but...

Thanks for listening to this version of my rant...This Swedish/Swiss thing lost its humor when I was about 6 yrs old.... 1967

If Switzerland had a Bikini team, I'm sure they would give Sweden a run for their money.

• 1 month later...