Ferns In The Snow

RomanK

Nice ferns. I can see from the frost on them that the snow probably isn't far off.

Yes sure, Lloyd, but I try to use any possibility to continue hunting, thanks for your reply. Regards, Roman.

More pictures

post-814-0-03183800-1322921805_thumb.jpg

Edited by RomanK

Roman.... The shale has deep colours in the low winter lighting... very nice specimen... Could you put a tarpaulin sheet over a good bit of the heap to keep the snow off... That way you can always go and peel it back and have a dig ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

love the coloring of those ferns, nice finds!

Thank you Vordigern!

Roman.... The shale has deep colours in the low winter lighting... very nice specimen... Could you put a tarpaulin sheet over a good bit of the heap to keep the snow off... That way you can always go and peel it back and have a dig ;)

Steve, I hope I have a possibility to have a dig at least one month more without any tarpaulin sheet due to the global warming :) Thank you for your comment.

I bet October 29 was a lost weekend. By the way is there a simple way to distinguish between seed ferns and spore bearing ferns.

Nice finds, as always, Roman. :D

I wish you well on your final hunts before winter sets in for you! ;)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I bet October 29 was a lost weekend. By the way is there a simple way to distinguish between seed ferns and spore bearing ferns.

Thanks for your comment Rockwood. Not sure I've understood clear your first sentence about lost weekend. As for second one I don't know that simple way but can share my own experience. Firstly I tried to know and set eyes on all kind of true ferns and seed ones at different wellknown collection. This link can help I think. Then you need just recognize particular species sometimes comparing yuor finds with other collections. More links you can see here. Regards, Roman.

Nice finds, as always, Roman. :D

I wish you well on your final hunts before winter sets in for you! ;)

Regards,

Thank you Tim, I think so.

Lepidodendron mannebachense branch print with magnified fragment

post-814-0-60648000-1322985574_thumb.jpg

Edited by RomanK

Thanks for your comment Rockwood. Not sure I've understood clear your first sentence about lost weekend. As for second one I don't know that simple way but can share my own experience. Firstly I tried to know and set eyes on all kind of true ferns and seed ones at different wellknown collection. This link can help I think. Then you need just recognize particular species sometimes comparing yuor finds with other collections. More links you can see here. Regards, Roman.

Thanks for your help. I should have checked your location. Based on assumption and memory, both flawed, I thought you were from the eastern US. We had a freakishly early snowstorm while I was there on a collecting trip.

Thanks for your help. I should have checked your location. Based on assumption and memory, both flawed, I thought you were from the eastern US. We had a freakishly early snowstorm while I was there on a collecting trip.

Now complelely understandable, thanks :). One more specimen - Calamites - from my last trip

post-814-0-49378900-1322992056_thumb.jpg

Edited by RomanK