Fossil From Giza

miraspis

Hi,

could you, please, help me with this fossil?

07.JPG

12.JPG

Approximate dimensions: 4 x 2 cm (1.6 x 0,8 in)

I suppose it can be fragment of some gasteropod, but I can not find anything similar on the Internet. I have found it in Egypt, near the pyramids of Giza. There were also lot of numullites and bivalve. It should be of Eocene age (stage Lutetian, formation Mokattam)

More information:

http://www.paleoweb....ky/05_Egypt.php

Thanks,

A.

Welcome! I'm not sure what you have, but I will mention that the desert area around the Pyramids are full of strange fossils. I've got many from that area and some fantastic examples of petrified wood too. The further south and west of Giza is rich in fossils of all sorts.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Possibly internal cast of a rudist. We find similar stuff here in Texas. If the rocks are Cretaceous that would be a good possibility.

I first thought rudist as well. But he said the rock was Eocene!

Possibly internal cast of a rudist. We find similar stuff here in Texas. If the rocks are Cretaceous that would be a good possibility.

Considering that it was found near the pyramids, it's conceivable that the fossil could have come from some building material transported from a different locale.

Context is critical.

well, I dont have access to the book I'm wanting to download for you, or it is unavailable digitally...:)

A monograph on the Egyptian Paleocene and Eocene gastropods

by Abbass, Houssein Loutfy,

Geological Survey of Egypt, Palaeontological series, monograph no. 4

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Considering that it was found near the pyramids, it's conceivable that the fossil could have come from some building material transported from a different locale.

Well, it is possible. In the first moment I even thought it is part of some plaster souvenir... But when I looked in more detail I found it must be something natural... The material is the same like the stone I found later and which contains numullite. This is why I think it must be of the Eocene age.

well, I dont have access to the book I'm wanting to download for you, or it is unavailable digitally... :)

A monograph on the Egyptian Paleocene and Eocene gastropods

by Abbass, Houssein Loutfy,

Geological Survey of Egypt, Palaeontological series, monograph no. 4

It would be great! Thank you very much :)

A.

http://www.paleoweb.cz/paleo/kameny_miraspis/prohlizeni.php?jmeno=miraspis

Archived