Dinosaur Footprints?

darren1408

Hi,

When I was on Holiday in Lyme Regis we decided to visit Durlston Bay, after reading in the map that there are Dinosaur footprints in the rock.

Here are some pictures (It was raining unfortunately), Is there a way to Identify the specie of dinosaur.

I think these were dinosaur footprints, as there were no signs saying where they were, so we just went and looked around :D .

Here they are:

post-690-1218645940_thumb.jpg

post-690-1218646381_thumb.jpg

Thank you,

Darren.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Darren,

Are you sure you all got to the correct spot? I have seen many tracks over the years, from Connecticut to Utah/New Mexico and Colorado, and the items here just do not resemble any of them (except maybe 874.04K and I still have doubts there too).

Sorry, but they all appear to be simple weathering patterns to me, but hey, I am no expert on tracks, just an observer.

Hi,

I don't know if it was the correct location, I have only just got interested in the subject after the holiday, I knew nothing before I went :D , all I know is that is roughly where they were meant to be, we asked a person who worked around the area and thats the location he gave us roughly, I couldn't see anything else around that location that looked like footprints.

Does anyone else know if these are footprints or not?

Thank you for your help everyone.

Darren.

Hi Darren,

I think you went to the wrong place. I don't think any of those are Dino footprints, sorry.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply, Yeah I wasn't completely sure they were them either.

I will have another look when I go there again sometime! :D

I am going to Lulworth Cove on Friday - Do you know where the main fossil hotspots are there?

Sorry for wasting your time with weather markings!

Thanks again.

Darren.

Hi Darren,

I've never been there but see ukfossils. Click on "locations" then Lulworth Cove. You are not wasting anyones time by asking. That's how to learn.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Not wasting time at all. I've collected all types of wierd things over the years. The most common questions asked on some field trips is 'Is this something?" One old professor used to answer 'No, it's just a figment of your imagination'.

Much worse than collecting or photographing something that isn't a fossil.... is not collecting or photographing a specimen because you didn't know it was a fossil. "Oh. :blush: that's what they look like".

A couple of those were interesting and I could see why you might think they were. Once you find the actual prints, you will see the difference. After that, you will have a better eye for them.

I just Googled 'dinosaur tracks Durlston Bay'; here's an example:

post-423-1218660345_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived