Ammonites Id

chele

I went out day before yesterday for a little bit trying to get some hunting in before the big snow hits. I stumbled across a big chunck of sandstone,or so I thought. I tooki it home to the shop and stated to work on it and to my surprise it is shale from the Bear Paw! I was deceived by the 1/4" of sand stone on the outer layer. I hit it once with the chisel and out popped a nice Ammonite. By the time it was said and done I ended up with 4 nice Ammonites and a lot of bi valves. IThere are a lot of small(1") Ammonites still in the matrix and I am afraid I will damage them trying to remove them. A lot of the bi valves still had the pearly white on the outside. I also found 2 unopened bivalves, first for me. I The Ammonites all appear to be different, so any help would be great.

post-5476-0-79160900-1323712296_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-24748400-1323712383_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-38947200-1323712449_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-05193100-1323712640_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-20900800-1323712683_thumb.jpg

Edited by chele

Chelebele

Chele,

Is there no limit to your fossil finding skills? You are better than a fossil GPS. That is a pretty impressive days work.

Bobby

Edited by Sharkbyte

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Wow, Chele, you've done it again!

Those are, I think, Scaphites ammonites (but I don't know the species); the geodization is really cool :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice late Cretaceous finds! I agree with these guys. You may be able to get closer to the ammonite ID with some research HERE.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Very nice late Cretaceous finds! I agree with these guys. You may be able to get closer to the ammonite ID with some research HERE.

Great resource John... here is a link to a free pdf provided by AMNH. Be patient the file is 80 Mb! :oLINK :D

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Bobby said it - I was going to say "Either you have a real nose for fossils or you're just living in a good area!" I could never find anything by bringing home a random rock and then breaking it open, unless it was a 2 ton boulder from Mt Tzuhalem.

I believe what you've got there is fragements of a Jeletzkytes, species is too hard to tell. could be J. crassus, or nodosus by the looks. I have papers that could identify the inoceramid for you.

I believe what you've got there is fragements of a Jeletzkytes, species is too hard to tell. could be J. crassus, or nodosus by the looks. I have papers that could identify the inoceramid for you.

According to the paper Piranha linked (Landman et al 2010) Jeletzkytes has been synonymized with Hoploscaphites. This makes sense to me, as there are no real unique features to Jeletzkytes, just a somewhat more extreme development of the same sets of nodes/spines as are seen in Hoploscaphites. The two genera intergrade to the point where any division between the two is entirely arbitrary, which suggests the division was artificial, based on a limited sample consisting of the more extreme morphology.

Chele's ammonites seem (tentatively) to be Hoploscaphites brevis, but I'll have to read some more before I make up my mind.

Don

Thanks for all the help guys! I am going to miss hunting here. All my fossils have been found no more than 2 miles from my house. The closest spot is only about 1/8 mile! I am excited to move to Jordan, especially after seeing the dinosaurs the owners found. Hopefully I can add some nice little dinos to my collection. I will have 56 sections to hunt on, there has to be something for me to find on 56 square mles!

Chelebele

Thanks for all the help guys! I am going to miss hunting here. All my fossils have been found no more than 2 miles from my house. The closest spot is only about 1/8 mile! I am excited to move to Jordan, especially after seeing the dinosaurs the owners found. Hopefully I can add some nice little dinos to my collection. I will have 56 sections to hunt on, there has to be something for me to find on 56 square mles!

i wouldn't worry Chele...your gonna be finding some amazing things very soon! :)

Thanks, for the update Fossil Dawg, I have numerous hard copies of this paper and I am in the acknowlegments as a contributing researcher. Neil Landman comes to visit my home a couple times a year. I am aware of the synonymy; I chose to use the older nomenclature for familiarity purposes. You wont find much on Hoploscaphites crassus, brevis, nodosus plenus etc. You will however find Jeletzkytes "" "" "". I am certain Neil's findings are correct, but truely it is a lumper/splitter's arguement. Neils research of mathmatically breaking down size is to date the most objective and analytic model. Truely there are few distinct meaurement breaks or groupings that would suggest one conforming genera. Moreover, it affirms perhaps a higher level of speciation and/or individual variability. PS I am a coauthor on the next instalment of this paper that covers more of the hoploscaphites of the Campanian. Chele, There is a much better chance of ID-ing your scaphite if you can provide a Baculite from the area where it was found. If you are in the Glendive area stop in and I will provide you with some valuable locality information, show you my collection etc.

thank you Mr.Scaphite! I sent you a PM. Here are a few photos below of some of the Baculites and other Ammonites I have found. I had quite a few of them but I have traded many for shark teeth. I can always find more Ammonites, not so much shark teeth. We are only 30 miles away from Glendive, we are neighbors!

post-5476-0-36536800-1324052949_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-31398000-1324053163_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-46122800-1324053434_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

Ah nicely done! Thanks for the Baculite picture, this helps immensely! The baculite is a juvenile Baculites gradis or baculus (you cant tell the difference as Juv.). in the middle picture the phragmacone on the left looks as though it may be H. plenus, on the right is a microconch of H. criptonodosus. The furthest right photo is H. crassus for the larger inflated body chamber and phragmacone. The baculite this one looks more like a B. baculus. The inoceraid in the earlier picture is a Inocermus barabini. Used Hoploscaphites so we can all be on the same page. It will be a pleasure meeting you sometime Chele.

Wow... that's it, just WOW. Do you have a wet saw, or access to one? I bet those ammonites would be fantastic opened up. If'n I was wasn't so far away, I'd offer to bring my wet saw by but... as it is...

Wow... that's it, just WOW. Do you have a wet saw, or access to one? I bet those ammonites would be fantastic opened up. If'n I was wasn't so far away, I'd offer to bring my wet saw by but... as it is...

I do have a 24" rock saw but the blade needs replacing. The blades are so expensive! I also have a 6" trim saw that I use a lot. The trim saw is perfect for the smaller rocks. I hate to cut a complete ammo, but the next wide ammo will be cut. I have cut and polished a lot of coral and they look beautiful.

Chelebele

I do have a 24" rock saw but the blade needs replacing. The blades are so expensive! I also have a 6" trim saw that I use a lot. The trim saw is perfect for the smaller rocks. I hate to cut a complete ammo, but the next wide ammo will be cut. I have cut and polished a lot of coral and they look beautiful.

Very cool. The one with the break makes me drool just to think what could be inside a complete one. I'm looking forward to the pictures when <if> you open one.