Bizarre Sea Urching!

MOROPUS

Moropus

I'd bet a paycheck we are looking at some species of the holasteroid Echinocorys. I found a similar one on a museum trip I was leading in the Anacacho formation of South Texas on Monday. It is Taylor in age, about 72 MYA. I'll post pics once I prep mine out. They are pretty rare around here but rather large. I think I have one approaching 4 inches maximum dimension from a previous trip.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Yeah! And i am a aesthetical surgery, just to implant this sylicon! I see Tom Clark! You see sexuality on a fossil! I think you need some company!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

For comparison this is a specimen of Echinocorys scutata I found in Europe. At least that's what a British paleo friend called it.I know my Paleozoic echinodermata such as blastoids, etc. but I'm not too up on Mesozoic material.

post-69-1192893022_thumb.jpg

It is from Cretaeous deposits in England but some of the part of England had similar fauna to deposits in parts of Spain. Is your specimen quite dense (probably silicified?).

I found this specimen in 1979 on a WW2 airfield in Norwich. We were walking the area looking at bits of shrapnel, etc. then it caught my eye that the ground was littered with echinoids. Hundreds of them. Probably parts of subsurface had been ploughed up to expose the echinoids when making the airstrips. Stuck this one in my pack but wish I had been there there on my own with a couple of buckets.

Moropus

Here is my biggest specimen of the echinoid Echinocorys texanus found a couple years ago.

Geo - cool weathering pattern on your specimen leaving the ambulacra raised.

post-22-1192958808_thumb.jpg

post-22-1192958818_thumb.jpg

post-22-1192958829_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Worthy

Sounds like TX and FL both are blessed with many nice echinoids. Most of ours are Upper and Lower Cretaceous while we have a few productive Pennsylvanian outcrops as well. When I get a chance I'll post some specimens I found this month.

Grüße,

Dan, the rivers are full of echinoids around here. :shark:

Good pix, Worthy. The first echinoid appears to be Oligopygus wetherbyi de Loriol which occurs in the Late Eocene Crystal River Fm of the Ocala Group Series (about 39 Ma).

The third image appears to be a Cassidulus sp. There are other species of Cassidulus, but the common one from your area is C. trojanus (Cooke). C. Wythe Cooke actually named it after Troy Springs on the Suwannee River. It occurs in the same formation as O. wetherbyi.

---------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• 8 months later...
Guest N.AL.hunter

Just to throw it out there, I really want one of these big/tall echinoids from Europe that I've seen several times now online and in people's collections. I have the upper half of an oreondont skull that I can trade for one. The skull has not been prepped yet, so it is available unprepped or I will prep it soon and make it available. I'll post some pictures soon, so please, anyone having one of these really big/tall echinoids keep me in mind if you want to trade. Thanks

Just to throw it out there, I really want one of these big/tall echinoids from Europe that I've seen several times now online and in people's collections. I have the upper half of an oreondont skull that I can trade for one. The skull has not been prepped yet, so it is available unprepped or I will prep it soon and make it available. I'll post some pictures soon, so please, anyone having one of these really big/tall echinoids keep me in mind if you want to trade. Thanks

I am your man!

Like I said in another thread: I have several Hemipneustes striatoradiatus and some big Echinocorysses on offer. I'm willing to offer you one of each for that partial oreodont skull.

Like I said in the other thread ....... all you need to do is send me a PM ........ :D

Cheers,

Paul

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

On Topic:

Definitely an Echinocorys of some kind.

As to the exact name, just like Bill pointed out earlier, Echinocorys scutata is a name often encountered and some people favour using various formae (forms) like conica , sulcata etc. to describe the variability in shape.

I find a lot of these in my region; most of them are broken, distorted and/or covered in flint, but on occasion I find nice ones like these.

post-456-1214464712_thumb.jpg post-456-1214464726_thumb.jpg post-456-1214464734_thumb.jpg post-456-1214464751_thumb.jpg post-456-1214464696_thumb.jpg post-456-1214464762_thumb.jpg

The left one in the last picture I call my "King Echinocorys": 9 cm diameter, 7 cm high, 29 cm circumference and 0.7 Kg!

For those interested in these and other echs that I find in my region; in the past I have posted trip reports on another forum, check out here and here

Cheers,

Paul

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Hi Morupus,

Here you are some images of E.sulcata and E.scutata from Denmark and Belgium so you can compare.

From Spain I only have from Navarra and Alicante (E.vulgaris), the size is similar but they look like different.

post-250-1214471942_thumb.jpg

post-250-1214471964_thumb.jpg

post-250-1214471984_thumb.jpg