#1 chele

chele

Member of the Month 12/11; VFOTM 03/12

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

I want to get a new camera and this camera is on sale for $749.00. I just wanted to see if some of the other members have used this camera. I want to take better photos of my fossils and I am not happy with the camera I have now. My old camera will not upload pics to my computer. I have to remove the card from the camera and use a card reader everytime I upload. There a lot of members that are very camera savvy and I am hoping to get some advice on this one or other cameras. Thanks!
Chelebele

#2 palaeopix

palaeopix

MOTM Dec. 2010; IPFOTM 04/10; IPFOTM 01/11; IPFOTM 04/11

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

Hey chele,

what model are you referring to?

There are several very good cameras available that would work fine for you (for example see next post).

You might even consider an older Canon EOS rebel model such as the Xsi (450D) which can be found for significantly less than a current model such as the T3i (600D). I swear by the Xsi and use it for the vast majority of my macro photography.

Dan

Edited by palaeopix, 14 December 2011 - 05:19 PM.

#3 piranha

piranha

IPFOTM 08/11; *2011 IPFOTY

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,502 posts

Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

Hi Chele,

That is a lot of money for a camera. Are you well versed with a DSLR setup that incorporates a variety of glass optics depending on the situation and subject? You might prefer the simplicity of a top of the line point and shoot alternative. The last one I upgraded to is a Panasonic FZ35 that allows you to toggle into any mode like macro, super-macro, telephoto, full frame, etc., and also allows you to use the fully automatic settings or go manual if you feel like experimenting for different results. Even though the FZ35 model has been updated by a few new product cycles, it continues to be one of the highest rated in the category for overall ease of use and most important of all: IQ=Image Quality. One year later and close to 7000 images captured and I'm still very happy with the camera. Btw, I always use the PHD Mode (push here dummy :P) and utilize post processing software to calibrate color balance, contrast and cropping. Besides that, a solid tripod is the next best indispensable tool for sharp and beautiful fossil photos at the click of the shutter every time. The whole kit with an extra battery (must-have) and quality 80" adjustable tripod in the neighborhood of $400 price range all-in.

That leaves you nearly an equal amount to spend on fossils :) my two sense :o :D

#4 Sinopaleus

Sinopaleus

Nuntius Sinopaleum Advanced Variety Collector Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

i have cannon eos 500D :D
"For a time I didn't want to answer any questions about Queen. I'd like to be viewed as something alive and relevant, not some fossil." -Brian May

"Well I would!! :D" - Sinopaleus

#5 chele

chele

Member of the Month 12/11; VFOTM 03/12

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

I have wanted to learn more about photography. I do like the ease of a point and shoot but I would like to expand my photo skills. The canon is
Model_#:
5157B002. Blaine is going to build me some light boxes that will help with the lighting issue. Blaines father used to own a photograpy studio and Blaine learned a lot from him so he will be a great help.
Chelebele

#6 tracer

tracer

Member of the Month 02/09

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,639 posts

Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

buy the camera. life's too short to over-analyze photographic equipment. you get caught in an endless loop of technological waffling and are sucked into a black hole of recursion.
Posted Image

#7 palaeopix

palaeopix

MOTM Dec. 2010; IPFOTM 04/10; IPFOTM 01/11; IPFOTM 04/11

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Awards

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:56 AM

Tracer's got a point!

We could go on for days trying to justify why Brand X is better than Brand Y, but in the end where will it get you!

The Canon EOS rebel T3 (model 5157B002) is a fine camera to start off with!

The kit lens will suit your needs for the time being although it's not the greatest when it comes to closeup photos.

Dan

#8 pleecan

pleecan

Member of the Month 08/10

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,218 posts

Awards

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

buy the camera. life's too short to over-analyze photographic equipment. you get caught in an endless loop of technological waffling and are sucked into a black hole of recursion.

I like your thinking Tracer!

Chele : I been buying photographic equipment for the last 4 months and built a super optical lab in the basement.... my favourite cameras are not dslr but rather a new class of digital cameras called mirrorless live view cameras with interchangeable lenses.... extremely versatile as they can be adapted to just about any 35mm film camera lens with the appropriate lens adapter.... I image fossils in full manual mode with full manual lenses built in 1960's -1990's superior in optical construction to today's plastic barrel lenses and pennys to the dollar on the used market. Good Luck on your search :)
PL

#9 jes4him

jes4him

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

Ain't that the truth! I can't tell you how much time I've waisted doing internet searches for days, weeks, and months, only to arrive at a non-decision. This is why it took me years to finally get a computer because I couldn't decide which one to buy, so many options and prices. Finally you just got to go and buy something. :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users