Gastropod Fossils

stanleyfr

Please include the size and location, if known. Both are very important to the ID process.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sizes vary from 5cm to 7cm and they were all found along the coast in Malta (so central Mediterranean) but unfortunately exact location in Malta is not known. Regards, Stanley

I should have guessed their area of origin! It is exotic enough that some conclusions may be possible, but the specifics may be difficult, as they seem to be internal molds; as I understand it, details of ornamentation and aperture are important in achieving a concise identification of gastropods.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Stanley,

Follow the link to a paper on some of the fossil gastropods from Malta. The pdf has 100+ figured examples and certainly worth investigating for a possible ID on your fossils. The specimens described correspond with the Lower Globigerina Limestone (Miocene) of Malta. Let us know if the discoveries might match any of those shaded areas on the attached geo map. Hope this information is useful for your research.

Thanks for posting and sharing a few Maltese fossils at TFF! :D

LINK

post-4301-0-88665300-1324155302_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

As most of the fossils in the pic are internal casts, id them is very difficult, even impossible sometimes.

The only thing I can possibly Id are:

Pic 1-Conus sp. internal cast

Pic 2-¿?

Pic3- Cypraea sp. casts

Pic4-Turritelatiid sp. cast

pic5- Perrona sp.? cast

pic6-Nucella? Narona? This is not a cast, the view of the other side (oral side), will be determinating for the id of it

As most of the fossils in the pic are internal casts, id them is very difficult, even impossible sometimes.

The only thing I can possibly Id are:

Pic 1-Conus sp. internal cast

Pic 2-¿?

Pic3- Cypraea sp. casts

Pic4-Turritelatiid sp. cast

pic5- Perrona sp.? cast

pic6-Nucella? Narona? This is not a cast, the view of the other side (oral side), will be determinating for the id of it

I second that.

• 5 months later...

stanleyfr , I have found lots of the same from the first pic.....all of them were found in Gozo in Clay

post-8758-0-42228200-1339501678_thumb.jpg

Edited by caromalta