Fish Mouthplate (i Think)

jbstedman

I puzzled over this very small find in Lee Creek, Pungo River material (Miocene) until I convinced myself that it looked like a fish mouthplate but on much smaller scale than I'm used to. A distinctive feature is the array of curved layers along the front (?) edge (3rd image in the photo). My sense is that in the bigger mouthplates I've found those front layers are fused together.

I've explored a number of resources to identify this item, including the nice fish material on elasmo.com, but mouthplates don't seem to be anyone's particular focus. Any recommendations for other resources to consult -- web and/or print? Thanks.

post-100-1218823343_thumb.jpg

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Its a mouth plate for sure. I have found a few on the beaches of SC. I was told they are from a Parrot fish or a Puffer fisher. Not sure if thats true or not. Nice find tho

I understand that puffer and porcupine fish fossils are commonly found in the Lee Creek material, so the suggested ID makes sense. Don't know whether one or the other is more likely to be found in the Pungo River formation.

I'm still amazed at its small size -- only fish mouthplate in my collection being housed in a coin holder.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams