Todays Finds: 5-3/4" Megalodon Tooth, 3+ Inch Mako And A Mammoth Tooth.

megateeth

This time of year I usually do just one dive since it gets cold even with a drysuit. Diving when you are cold is not too much fun and I tend to find less if I am cold so I just don't bother. Today I went to an old spot that always has thick mud that I have to dig through. It is usually not worth the time and energy it takes to dig to the fossil layer there but the current was so strong that I figured it would be a good place to go since I could anchor myself into the mud with my feet. Plus it has been awhile and you never know what you will find. Once I started moving around I found an area where the mud was mostly cleared away and I found a lot of bones near the surface. The first thing I found was the mammoth tooth. It was buried pretty deep but right away I felt was the root and I knew what it was. I only have three or four others this nice so that made my day a success in my mind.

post-1309-0-39891200-1324497752_thumb.jpg

Then I started finding the Megalodon teeth. The largest tooth has a tiny chip on the tip and is almost 5.75" long. The third one down in size is nearly flawless and is over 4". The smallest one is also in top condition. I did have to dig a lot so I burned through my air pretty quickly. Near the end it was getting hard to breath and I was about to come up when I found a large vert. If you pull these out of the mud you often find bones and teeth have settled in around them. I pulled the vert out of the way and felt a small tooth. It turned out that the small tooth was a 3-1/8" flawless Mako tooth. At that point I had to come up but it was a great dive.

post-1309-0-02751300-1324497761_thumb.jpg

Edited by megateeth

I get excited reading your adventures; 'specially when the air is getting low!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Bill, that mammoth tooth is awesome!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Bill,

Those are some awesome finds. The mammoth tooth alone is a tripmaker, but a 3" mako and some nice megs on top of it, wow. Do you ever bring up the large verts?

Mike

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Bill,

Those are some awesome finds. The mammoth tooth alone is a tripmaker, but a 3" mako and some nice megs on top of it, wow. Do you ever bring up the large verts?

Mike

Sometimes Mike but not too often. They are hard to drag around down there. Then I find a lot of things living on or in them so I just usually leave them there. I sometimes get home and find that a crab was living inside and I feel bad for taking it.

Sometimes Mike but not too often. They are hard to drag around down there. Then I find a lot of things living on or in them so I just usually leave them there. I sometimes get home and find that a crab was living inside and I feel bad for taking it.

Do what I do, have an aquarium to keep them in until you go back. If you go as often as I do, they are only in the tank a few days and they eat well. Actually, my wife has two right now she has had for about 9 months. We got crab food from the pet store, monitor the water salinity (actually just get water when I am on the river) and have airators. We also gave them a few rocks or fossils to play with. They are pretty cool to watch and beat cleaning up after a cat or dog. Sorry cat and dog lovers, but we both are allergic to fur!

Funny story. I told my coworkers that I got crabs while diving. They got a laugh off that one.

Edited by DeloiVarden

Good idea and pretty funny.

Do what I do, have an aquarium to keep them in until you go back. If you go as often as I do, they are only in the tank a few days and they eat well. Actually, my wife has two right now she has had for about 9 months. We got crab food from the pet store, monitor the water salinity (actually just get water when I am on the river) and have airators. We also gave them a few rocks or fossils to play with. They are pretty cool to watch and beat cleaning up after a cat or dog. Sorry cat and dog lovers, but we both are allergic to fur!

Funny story. I told my coworkers that I got crabs while diving. They got a laugh off that one.

• 2 weeks later...

great report and finds as usual Bill. Congrats!!!

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022